Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 March 2008

Signs of Spring

I finally got out and put a tap in one of the maple trees yesterday. On the left you can see the sap flow inside the blue tubing.

By this morning when I went out to check, I had the full gallon jug of maple sap on the right, with a frozen sap-sicle down the side and ice in the top.

I'm hoping the weather will stay like this (above freezing during the day and below freezing at night) so we get a good sap run.

Every so often someone will ask if drilling the hole for the tap hurts the tree. Well, I don't like to see those trees with six taps in them, even if they are big trees, but if it's a healthy tree and you're not tapping it to death, the holes grow shut within a year or so and look like this:(Don't look at me! I just took the pictures, and that's how they look.)

Then I went looking for spring flowers, and this is what I got: the first winter aconites, sweet violet leaves flat from being under all the snow, and the snowdrops drilling their way upwards through the dead leaves.

Of course, the biggest sign of spring, besides that fact that I can't sit still and knit for more than two minutes at a time, is the deep gluey mud out where my new car is parked, but I didn't feel like laying on my stomach in it to get a good photo!

Instead I went out and kicked the frozen basketball for Truffles.

She is a ball chaser extraordinaire, and she really misses our ball-chasing sessions when her toys are buried or frozen in the snow.

She was overjoyed to find her ball unthawed so she could gallop after it and herd it around the yard again!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger TinkingBell said...

How springlike it all looks!! (is it wonderful having syrup from your own trees?)

3:22 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow. Your very own maple syrup trees. Honestly, it's just unimaginable to someone who grew up in California :)

5:55 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

In 1983, a Canadian girl came to our school and talked about doing this very thing. My sister and i were SO impressed we went home and, with a hand drill (ie not even electric) we drilled a hole in a sappling my dad planted, thinking it looked a bit like a maple tree. You can just imagine how that went.

I love snow drops. They are so delightful. The other two flowers were less familiar. Violets, yes but not sweet violets, per se.

Truffles looks like a very happy dog.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

We made maple syrup once when I was a kid. I remember we tapped the trees, collected the sap, and my mom boiled it more or less forever on the stove and for several gallons of sap we got maybe half a cup of syrup. We do have a few maples in our yard -- maybe we should try it sometime, although I think only certain species have decent sap.

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter