Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



13 August 2009

Mooshky Madness!

Oh, wait, this is a sunflower again.
The sunflower opened Tuesday morning. The hummingbird found it Tuesday evening.
Wednesday morning I woke up feeling just about as zing-y as a hummingbird and got ready to go to Galina Khmeleva's "Mooshky Madness" class at the Michigan Fiber Festival.

We knitted a couple of swatches using "mooshky", the Russian version of nupps. But first we cast on with a long-tail cast-on.

I'm a mostly self-taught knitter. When I learned to knit as a girl, it was using the backwards-loop cast-on. Pretty much every cast-on I learned since then, I've picked up from books in the last six years. Except for this one!

This is the cast-on Galina taught at the Orenburg class I took from her the year before last. It's quite stretchy.

The bottom swatch is made using a chart for lily of the valley, very similar to the one in the summer 2004 Knitters magazine.

After I took the Orenburg class in 2007, my mom gave me the magazine with the shawl pattern in it as a birthday present.

I was a little intimidated by the bobble section of the chart at the time. But now I've knitted the bobbles/mooshky/nupps as taught by the designer herself. I'm inspired!

And here is the lily of the valley shawl itself, the one in the magazine, held by Galina and the hands of one of my classmates.

Galina brought many shawls with designs enhanced by mooshky: designs with hearts and even one with two squirrels in the center! But she said they had not been published, so no pictures.

I feel so lucky to have a local fiber festival big enough to bring in designers and teachers like her.

And still coming up on Saturday and Sunday: the vending part of the festival, and the demo table where I'll spend several hours with other members of the West Michigan Lace Group. Maybe I'll see you there!

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, how fun! That shawl is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's time I got on the nupp thing; I bought Nancy Bush's book, but so far I'm admiring it rather than knitting from it. If you happen to go by the Briar Rose booth at the festival, say hi to Chris and Christy for me -- I wish I were working with them again this weekend out there!

10:55 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

The hummingbird photos are stunning! What a great camera you have and what a wonderful eye!

Have a ball at the fiber fest. I know you will!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I loved taking a class from Galena... she's a force of nature, isn't she?

1:09 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I am very envious that you can go to such great classes!

And those hummingbird/sunflower pics - just amazing!

7:41 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

ENVY (100)

what a great time - so lucky! Loved the sunflower and hummingbird pics! Oh I miss summer.....

8:17 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Great humming bird photo! You must be fast on the button.

The shawl is gorgeous. Nupps can really make a difference in the appearance. I used to think they were just strange but as I've seen more of them, I'm impressed at the creativity of the designers. And how cool that you got to meet (and learn from) the designer.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Were I not on vacation in the most beautiful place on earth, I'd seriously consider buying a plane ticket.

3:41 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

I'm hyperventilating over here [ fans self furiously ] omgomgomg that shawl is so beautiful and I'm terribly impressed both with your Mooshky [wonderful word isn't it ? ] and the fact that you managed to capture a hummingbird in flight!! Have fun and ... yes, please ... take lots of sheeepy/goaty pix!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

oh that hummingbird photo! How wonderful. And the shawl! Oh my!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Absolutely stunning. And how wonderful that you were able to take the class!

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter