Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 February 2006

Mrs. Tiggywinkle, or My Two-Socks-At-Once Hedgehog

I have been mulling over how to knit the heels as I finished the last few rows of the foot. Elaine brought up the point that since every other stitch belongs to a different sock, the stitches are spaced out from each other. And a short-row heel might turn out even more "holey" at the turns than usual.

I usually use wrapped short-rows to turn a sock heel, and have had good results. These socks were knitted with wrapped short-row heels, and the heels turned out nice and hole-less.

But I thought that with the intervening stitch spacing out the wrap, my wraps might not turn out tight enough to close the hole to my satisfaction.

So here is my needle-spiky solution:


It does feel like cheating to be knitting each sock all by itself, even though they are still connected at the top of the instep!

I went down another needle size to knit the heels, from US 4 to US 3. Luckily, I happen to have two sets of size 3 to accommodate all this spikiness.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter