Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



02 February 2006

Tuesday was Library Day

I picked my son up from school, and we went to the library. I got out Meg Swanson's "Knitting" and some fiction, which I spent Tuesday evening and yesterday morning reading. Then I knitted a couple of rows so the "Two Socks on One Set of Needles" wouldn't get lonely.

My fiber arts guild meeting was Wednesday evening. We watched a presentation about the Handweavers Guild of America's convention, Convergence 2006, to be held from 25 June to 1 July in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Many of the slides showed the work of people who will be giving seminars or teaching workshops. Some of them looked fascinating: ". . . history and trends in art knitting . . .", "Dyeing With Shaving Cream", marbling on a silk scarf.

*sigh*

Unfortunately, registration is out of my price range: $365 for HGA members, $425 for non-members. Yowch. I guess I will have to spring for a $10 day pass and just check out the art exhibits and vendor hall.

So it was kind of a bittersweet meeting. After the slide show (okay, powerpoint presentation -- this is the 21st century, after all), I was all charged up to go, but the price is right out of our budget.

I did get to indulge in a little "show and tell". I hadn't done any needle felting, but I brought the rainbow net, some tatting in the machine quilting thread, and the "two socks on one set of needles". Jan brought the needle-felted bear she had started at the last meeting, and finished over the course of the month. He came out very well!

Saturday we are supposed to meet and finish our discharge-dyeing swatches that will go out in the Michigan League of Handweavers newsletter. I will have to take some pictures of our experimental ones that we made over the course of last year.

So today I better get busy and knit!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter