Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



21 April 2006

I Love Spring, But

I love spring, but the honeymoon is over! The black flies have hatched!



It does look beautiful, but it is hard to work outside when a cloud of tiny, whining, biting black flies are crawling in your hair and getting between your eye and your glasses. Mosquitoes, ticks, and poison ivy will be out next!

I am glad we live near enough the Lake Michigan shore that we often have enough wind to blow them away. Black flies (Simulium spp) are not very strong fliers, and if we get a good breeze, they don't bother me as much. But if the air is still, you'll find me inside, knitting!

I love knitting dishcloths. They are fast! Nothing like a little instant gratification. I ran out of the white crochet cotton and had to switch to a soft, creamy ecru. But that was part of the point, to use up threads I have in my stash.

I have a "Stash Diet" dilemma coming up: what should I do about the trunk show in May? The West Michigan Lace Group is welcoming Kathy Kirchner, a vendor who brings all sorts of wonderful, not-commonly-available lace things, to our May 8th meeting. The "things" will probably include lots and lots of lovely thread. *sigh*

This meeting will be from 7pm to 8:30pm at the Hampton Inn North in Walker, Michigan, at 500 N. Center Dr. NW off Alpine Avenue, behind Hobby Lobby and Cracker Barrel. (Funny how my lace friends know right where this is when I say "It's behind the Hobby Lobby store on Alpine." !)

What am I going to do when faced with all that thread? Will I be able to resist? Stay tuned!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated! Or buy thread, or something like that.

I think you should allow yourself one new skein (sp?) for every 3 loose ends you've used up so far. That seems fair!

Also, will you be bringing the little man? I realize that's a little late for him and he might be staying home with Dad, but if that's not an option, I'll be right around the corner!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter