Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



20 April 2006

Soothing Knitting. And Origami.

Sometimes, when everything gets to be too much, I turn to plain, soothing knitting. Like a dishcloth, everybody's grama's "knit two, yarn over, knit across the row" dishcloth.

This one is in two strands of crochet cotton, because my husband, who does most of the dishes, doesn't like the feel of "dishcloth weight" cotton yarn. For him, dishcloths knitted out of "Sugar'n'Cream" are too heavy.





My son is studying shapes in school. While he was home, I said, "Oh! I could fold some origami shapes!" I pulled out John Montroll's A Plethora of Polyhedra in Origami and let him leaf through it and pick out shapes.

I took a picture of the shapes on the book cover, but the black background made it hard to see which are shown on the cover, and which ones I folded.

From left to right, we have a blue icosahedron, a green octahedron, a decahedron folded from silver holographic paper, an orange tetrahedron, and a black cube, each folded from a single sheet of paper.


My son particularly wanted the silver paper for the decahedron: he said it looked like a spaceship. He wanted me to fold some shapes for school, but so far I have only sent one: a tetrahedron folded from "chocolate chip" paper. (Scrapbooking papers are a lot of fun to fold!)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That settles it, you are the coolest mom ever!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter