Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



28 September 2006

Knitting, I'm Knitting

Here is a good picture of my tussah silk scarf, and a poor picture of Sampler M's pattern 13. But the scarf has been blocked, and the sampler hasn't. Blocking lace knitting is like magic: the pattern goes from a crumply thing you can only see if you hold it stretched out, to this pretty, delicate lacy fabric. Well, as much as crochet cotton can look delicate! Next to the silk, it feels pretty robust and sturdy!

I am starting to have to roll up the completed part of the sampler to keep it out of the way as I knit. I think I will roll it up and pin it, if I can do that without distorting the patterns.

But I still had it unrolled last night when I finished binding off the second sock. The socks from the Filatura Lanarota yarn are done and in the laundry, awaiting a wash that will turn them into "real socks". I almost always wash my handknit socks before wearing them, to full them a little. I love superwash wool!

The brownish triangular area at the top of the picture is dog hair, Ajax's hair. I'm not really sitting on the dog. He was on his big dog bed under the table, and the flash makes it look like I'm sitting right on him.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger tatt3r said...

Your silk scarf is beautiful! I can't wait to see it in person at the lace group. Wow!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

It's the scarf I knitted for the Shetland lace workshop. It was put away all summer, and when I unrolled it to take the picture, I loved it all over again!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter