Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



18 September 2006

Double Knitting Close Up

These are the double-knitted Christmas ornaments I entered in the county fair. Each was knitted on the Addi 1.25mm (4-0) needles I bought at the Michigan Fiber Festival, using DMC Cebelia crochet thread in green, white, and red, plus DMC gold embroidery thread in the green one on the left.

A close-up of the tree. I think if I knit another of these, I'll make the trunk a single stitch at the top, instead of three. This is knitted like those double-knit potholders at About dot com, so the back has a green tree on a white ground. I cast this one on using that magic toe-up sock cast on from Knitty.com, and cast it off using the tubular cast-off, so it is really hard to see where it starts and ends.

The fair also has a category for knitted potholders, and the winners this year were what I would have called "plain old knitted dishcloths", the kind knitted diagaonally from corner to corner, adding one stitch each row with a yarnover! Hmmmm, I can see definite entry possibilities for next year!

I didn't see any tatting entered this year, although there was a lot last year. I'll have to make sure I finish some tatted entries for the 2007 fair!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter