Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 September 2006

Havoc in Hastings

Yesterday my husband demonstrated mead-making at the Society for Creative Anachronism event "Havoc in Hastings", held at Charlton Park, 2545 S. Charlton Park Road, Hastings, Michigan.

I brought along the socks I've been knitting, but once again I forgot the camera!

And that was a pity -- there were equestrian events, which we don't have all the time, and such beautiful horses! I didn't get a chance to talk to the riders, but I think there was at least one Friesian horse there, maybe two, like the ones we saw on our trip to the Netherlands several years ago.

A lot of the settlers in west Michigan were Dutch, and their descendants tend to be very proud of and very interested in their Dutch heritage.

With a little Googling, I found not one but three Friesian horse breed clubs in the Michigan area: the Great Lakes Friesian Horse Association, Midwest Friesians, and the West Michigan Friesian Horse Club.

I sat and knitted and watched the horses, talked to a couple of people about knitting, and listened to my husband explain mead-making.

Afterwards we headed home, and stopped at a couple of yard sales on the way. The only yarn I saw was acrylic, so I wasn't tempted off my stash diet. (And I didn't find any knitting needles.)

A fun day, and I wish I had remembered the camera!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter