Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 August 2006

Sockity Wockity

After the other picture of the hallway, it's only fair to show how the tiles in the hallway line up with the ones in the dome. It makes it feel like the hallway walls were set down arbitrarily, and somehow missed lining up with the flooring.

And look! Such a nice picture of Truffles the normally unphotographable dog!

Yet another picture of these dizzy socks. I am still trying to take a picture that shows the ribbing, but the bright color of the yarn keeps overwhelming it in every shot.

The sock on the left is laying with the sole down, toe forward, and the ribbing flopped back. I was hoping to show the way the ribs keep slanting outwards from the center, making points toward the toe.
The sock on the right is also sole down, with the heel forward. On the back of the leg the ribs make a point upwards. But you can't see that in the photo, either.

Bird News

Yesterday we had fine rain for most of the day. I was inspired to fill the bird feeder despite the rain by a male cardinal who came hopefully to the feeder, followed by two hungry, begging fledglings. I think I saw more birds yesterday than I've seen since the winter feeding season!

The cardinals came back over and over. Then three chickadees showed up. I saw two female yellowthroats. (Although I hear the male's "wichity wichity" a lot, I very rarely see him.) I heard a house wren out there.

Then my son and I were charmed to see a female hummingbird land on the rose bush and drink the rain drops hanging from the thorny rose cane under her feet! She flew all around the bush and hunted for tiny insects in some of the yellowing leaves. Then she went to the tiny white flowers of a pokeweed that has come up right smack in the middle of the rose bush. She landed several times and preened her wet feathers.

The camera was nowhere handy, but probably a tiny green bird in the midst of small green leaves wouldn't have showed up anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter