Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



17 August 2006

Pre-Fiber Festival Panic Time!

Otherwise known as the third alternative.

Everybody has heard of "fight or flight" as an animal's alternatives when threatened. For some reason the third alternative doesn't get as much press, and it is my (and the bunny's) favorite.

The third alternative is to freeze in place and hope the threat won't notice you.

Rabbits do this all the time when I am out on walks, only bolting out from under my descending foot at the last possible second. Maybe they are hoping I (the threat) will have a heart attack from extreme startlement.

Anyway, the fiber festival (Michigan Fiber festival) is only days away now, and I have to shuffle through my accumulation of lacy things and figure out what to bring along for our West Michigan Lace Group demo.

Making this a little more exciting, it looks like on Sunday I'll be the sole representative of the group at the table for part or most of the day. (Must remember to shop the vendors Saturday.)

Even though I consider myself shy, I really enjoy demonstrating. But I do panic beforehand. And for some reason this has translated into not looking through tatting books / shuttles / samples, not looking at netting instructions, not rooting out lace knitting. Just freezing in place.

But time's foot is fast descending, and it will be Saturday morning and time to drive out to Allegan before I know it.

If you are looking for us there, for years they put us in the open pavilion at the top of the hill. Last year they put us in the white building across the road and diagonal from that pavilion. So this year, my guess is that we'll be inside that white building again.

I'll be the one playing "Demonstration Bingo"!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter