Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



16 August 2006

Yesterday's News

My husband took the day off work yesterday, and we spent some of it laying the tiles down in our geodesic dome addition.

We got all the whole tiles that would fit glued down. The next step is marking and cutting the ones against the walls. The hardest part is that our basement/storm cellar trap door was installed to line up with the basement, but the dome does not. So it looks like we will end up cutting a lot of tiles to cover the surface of the trap door!

At first I was handing the tiles over to my husband. After a while our son decided he could do that. By the end they told me they could handle it!

Monday night's West Michigan Lace Group meeting was great fun, as usual.

We had some interesting show and tell, including some very tiny pieces of darned netting on handmade net. The netting was about 1/8th-inch square, hand-knotted in fine thread. As a netmaker, I thought it was awe-inspiring.

Another member brought some pieces of "turtle braid" and coronation cord (a thick-and-thin cord, used in the tatting book edited by Julia Sanders) that she won on eBay. It was interesting to see it in the flesh instead of in pictures.

Then we had lots of lace found at flea markets and antique stores, mostly crochet, one length of knitted lace trim, and a bit of bobbin lace. There was an interesting mystery piece of crochet with areas that looked like bullion knots, but none of the members who crocheted knew exactly how that stitch was made.

One of the most enjoyable things at each meeting for me is to walk around and see what each person is working on. It might be tatting, Hardanger, bobbin lace or knitting.

I got to actually see Tatt3r's temporary bolster pillow, made of a camping pad rolled up and covered with a wool blanket and a cover cloth. I am trying to avoid picking up bobbin lace. (Goodness knows I have enough fiber projects in progress and waiting in line in my head already!)

Another interesting piece of news was that the Great Lakes Lace Group, which meets on the east side of the state, will hold one of their annual lace events in April of 2007 on "my" side of the state, up in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It has been many years since I was able to attend one of their events, so I will look forward to this one.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Maybe he should have covered the door first! Ah well, a little late now, eh? I am LOVING the TILE! Cannot wait to see it.

Are we camping this summer? It's almost over. WAH! I don't want to send my kids to school!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

My goodness, what a project Alwen! Funny that you got kicked out!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Alwen said...

We didn't realize how easy these seriously hefty tiles would be to cut, so we wanted to start from a "long" side and work towards a "short" side. The dome footprint is ten-sided, and "long" and "short" alternate around the, ah, circumference.

And talk about fun, "fun" was figuring out the area in order to know how much tile to buy.

And just to make the whole freakin' project a little more kiltered, the hallway also is off at an angle. What the hey, we'll line those tiles up with the dome, too, and they'll enter the hallway on a diagonal.

Spacey, eh?

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter