Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



31 July 2006

Gratefulness

The news is full of grim things, and the weather is steamy-hot. Maybe you would like a change of pace.

Saturday my son and I went into Wal-Mart to grab something quick for dinner. We paid for a couple of TV dinners, and then I was going to buy a shake at Arby's for our dessert. While we were waiting in the drive-thru lane, I pulled out my wallet to pay for it, and discovered numbly that the ten-dollar bill I had just counted out before leaving the house was gone!

I realized that when I had taken out the money to pay in Wal-Mart, the ten must have pulled out, too, and fallen on the floor. My heart sank, and then I had to start digging for quarters to be able to pay for the shake.

We went back to Wal-Mart, but I admit my hopes were not high. A ten dollar bill on the floor on a Saturday evening -- that's kind of like a two-dollar skein of hand-painted sock yarn.

My son said, "I know how you feel, Mom. That's how I felt when I lost my good Yu-Gi-Oh card at school." [pause] "Only this is worse."

Yeah, about like that.

We walked through the heat back to the register, and I asked the cashier if anyone had just picked up ten dollars. She turned around and recognized me, and then she said, "Oh!" and handed it to me. She had it sitting right next to her register.

Tears came to my eyes. If you read the newspapers or listen to the news, about all you hear about is how rotten everything and everyone is. When your expectations are low, having them exceeded so drastically really hits you, I guess.

I said thank you about six times. Then we went home and ate supper and drank melted Arby's shake. Then I wrote a letter to the manager.

When I'm not listening to the news, the world is not so bad after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, it really reinforces your faith in humanity when things like that happen, doesn't it? :)

I always make an effort to return everything I find because you never know when you'll need the karma points! ;)

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This single act of kindness and integrity can keep us all going and gives us faith.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter