Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 August 2006

"Move" is a Four-Letter Word!

Even if it's just things within my own house.

The dome floor is about 89 percent finished, so my husband started moving the computers into the dome, and out of the room that will become our son's bedroom.

I have never liked moving. The only move I didn't dread happened when I was about five years old, and didn't have to deal with things that were vanished into boxes by helpful, well-meaning relatives, never to be seen again.

I've gone into the former "computer room" about six times today to use a computer that wasn't there any more.

Meanwhile, my husband and son have a new computer game, and my son and I are competing for the use of my computer.

But the lure of the sock yarn is stronger than the lure of the computer. It's even stronger than the lure of my other new project, the teeny bag made of perle cotton.

I started the toes of these on US size 2 needles. Then I got nervous that they were going to be too big, and I didn't want to start over. So I dropped down to US size 1's. Then 0's.

I'm knitting socks with size 0 needles. Whew. Three years ago I was messing around with Red Heart acrylic on a knitting frame made out of my old metal potholder loom. If you had told me I'd be knitting socks at all, let along on size 0 needles, I would have guessed it would take me 10 years!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alwen said...

The sock yarn is Filatura Lanarota "Country Sock", color 16, 45% cotton, 40% superwash wool, 15% nylon. I don't know how it shows up on your monitor, but the colors are pinky-red, a very orange-y yellow, black, and purple! I've been Googling for it, and I can't find this yarn anywhere on the web.

I got the Valdani crochet thread at my lace group's trunk show this spring. I've never seen it anywhere else.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter