Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



29 August 2006

Socky Wocky

The socks are proceeding apace. Although they are not being knitted at anything like the world speed knitting record, I'm already turning the heels after a week. For me that's a record.

Fastest Knitting Speed = stocking stitch across a row of 60 stitches, using 4mm (UK8) needles and DK yarn, timed for 3 minutes. Highest score so far (2005) is 255 stitches.

I understand that a Dutch knitter has pushed this record to 257 stitches in 3 minutes. And I thought the hand-cranked AutoKnitter at the fiber festival was fast . . .

When I was searching for the world speed knitting record, I found a couple more.

Longest piece of "French knitting" (or spool knitting), 12.26 miles.

Finest recorded knitting, set in 1969, 2,464 stitches per square inch. I wonder what needles and thread Douglas Milne used to knit that. And I wonder how BugKnits compares. Surely at 80 stitches per inch, Althea Merback could match this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter