Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 October 2006

Happy Birthday to Me!

As I try to get materials ready for Vineyard Raids III. And bake brownies for the school's bake sale at the modular train exhibit Saturday. And sneak in some knitting and reading time.

Last night I went to a meeting of the Lakeshore Fiber Arts Guild in Holland, Michigan. We had a presentation by Jennifer Gould, a charter member of the guild, on printing and painting clothing.

Jennifer wore a jacket she had made out of a sweatshirt and explained how she made it. (It's the one shown in the "Printing and Painting Clothing" on her web page.) She talked about learning to paint, stamp, and discharge cloth and clothing.

She also brought some of the art dolls and discharged and collaged fabric she has been working on this summer. It's always fascinating to see what she's been working on, and the directions she has taken some of the techniques we experimented with at our guild meetings.

I sat and worked on my Pi shawl. I finished the sixth pattern repeat and the 48th row of this round. The next step is a doubling row in the half-circle part.

This shawl is on two US size 6 needles. On the left is a Susan Bates Silvalume. On the right is a Susan Bates Silverado. The Silverado has a nice limp black cable and super-slippery points. The Silvalume has a lively cable that refuses to lay flat.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger tatt3r said...

Happy Birthday!

As to your 'lively' circular, have you tried dipping the cable in hot, but not boiling water? It may not cure the beast, but it calms it a bit. My #6 circs are Wrights/Boye, 29". I'll see if I can scout them out, if you don't mind mix and match.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Happy birthay tooo yooooooou. Go buy yourself some yarn. :)

In regards to the cords of circular needles, try dipping them in boiling water and then pulling the ends apart firmly so that the cord is straight as it cools. That's my usual cure for the little buggers when you first take them out of the package. Microwaved water is especially good because it super-heats to more than 212, when you're lucky.

You can also straighten wooden and real ivory needles with steam, but it's kind of a daredevil thing to do and they usually aren't THAT crooked.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, I hope you have a great day.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

Thank you all. I did buy another size 6 circ. (And two German cream cakes from Aldi's, yum.) And I'll be steaming, heating, beating those cables into submission soon.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter