Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 November 2006

Ahhhh, Knitting Weather!

And back to work on Sampler M. This is the start of Pattern 16, with patterns 14 and 15 showing below it.

I am not sure if I want to finish the pattern, or leave myself something to work on tomorrow in Kalamazoo at the Festival of the Arts. (Kalamazoo Valley Museum, 230 N Rose St, Kalamazoo, MI) I could always work on the Pi shawl, as I'm sure I wouldn't finish that even if I knitted for the entire four hours. I have a linen bookmark that stalled ages ago that I can work on if I think about it, but it's probably better if I take something I can work on without thinking about it, since demos usually involve talking to people and getting distracted from the work in hand.

Speaking of distractions, our son will be coming along, since my husband has his November Guard drill the weekend after his October one. By the end of next week he'll have worked three weeks in a row.

Fortunately for our son, the KVM is a children's museum (although my husband and I enjoyed it when we went there during spring break earlier this year), so we will alternate demo-ing with jaunts into the museum, and I think he'll enjoy himself all over again.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Woohoo, LACE! I'm always happy to see someone as crazy as me! The sampler looks great. If you've never seen "Knitting Lace" by Susanna Lewis, you might want to try getting hold of a copy through inter-library loan. (It's one of those out of print deals selling for outragous sums on eBay.) I always think of that book when I see your sampler.

And IMHO, 'children's museums' are great fun. Before I had The Baby, I used to enjoy them all by myself.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

I love Susanna Lewis's "Knitting Lace", and (shhhh) one of the local libraries has a copy. Heaven forbid it should ever go missing! I'm embarrassed to say how much it lives in my house.

But I have heard that Schoolhouse Press is working on getting republication rights from the what's-it's-name museum. That would be awesome! I've watched copy after copy go for $50, $60, $70 and more on eBay.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Some day when I want a tropical vacation, I'm going to sell my copy of "Knitting Lace" and my copy of "The Principles of Knitting". Either that or retire on the proceeds. Haha.

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter