Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 November 2006

Maybe I Think Too Much

But I deny being insane. This is insane. Or this.

What I do love is "complex" and "as small as I can make it".
Knitting with some purple variegated tatting thread on a pair of Havel's 7" doll needles, approximately the size of my 0000 knitting needles. The ruler in the picture, which I dearly love, is a 6-inch steel rule with inches divided into 64ths of an inch.

How do you knit with something that small?

A) I'm nearsighted. Taking my glasses off makes the far-away world go blurry, but up close it's like wearing Mag-Eyes all the time.

B) I knit with my fingernails. Specifically, my left middle fingernail controls the stitches as they leave the left needle. When I snapped this nail short a couple of weeks ago, I had a much harder time knitting with the really fine thread until it grew back out.

C) I really really like "small".

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You're still insane. Just not as insane as those other people. Haha. That's the beauty of the internet, you know - you can always find someone crazier than you. I find it all very comforting.

After looking at those sites, and your work, my state fair doily looks downright huge.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jazmin said...

Muahahaha! I'm not alone! :)

I too have a fascination with complex and little, although my last foray into a doily in sewing thread and wire needles (0.75 mm) was foiled for appallingly awful points. I really should file down the points and give it another kick!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

What's insane is that I spent the whole morning online trying to find metric micro drill bits that I didn't have to pay a $9 UPS charge to ship. They weigh less than an ounce, c'mon, US mail me those puppies!

Because, y'know, a woman's gotta have a way to make really tiny holes in metric sizes that match her really tiny knitting needles.

I'm not insane! I deny it! Just don't try to take any of my sharp pointy objects away and I'm finefinefine!

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter