Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



04 February 2007

Saturday Sky?


I don't usually post a Saturday sky picture, especially in the winter, when it's usually gray, gray, or gray. (Somewhat like where I used to work, where I once heard a visitor exclaim "Gray carpet, gray file cabinets, gray cubicle walls -- gray, gray, and more grey!" And she didn't even have to work in it.)

But I was amused by the contrast between the two shots above. Left, relatively calm. Right, windy and snowy. At some points, there was so much blowing snow in the air that I couldn't see the red pines in the background at all. It was like looking into a white Tupperware bowl.

The birds stuck close to the feeder near the rose tangle all day. Cardinals, chickadees, a couple of blue jays, white-crowned sparrows, house finches, downy woodpeckers, both red- and white-breasted nuthatches, goldfinches, juncoes. All of them had their feathers puffed up to keep warm, and I have to tell you, a fluffed-up blue jay is a mighty funny-looking bird.

I finished both mittens and have started on the first thumb, so I hope to have them completely done very soon.

It is still cold (3 deg. F) this morning and snowing lightly. South Haven's weather conditions right now are 3 F (-16 C), with the wind at 15 MPH gusting to 22 MPH. The windchill right now is -14 F (-26 C). Brrrr!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

-4 degrees in Paw Paw this morning. Must be the Lake is keeping it warm for you.

Love your pictures. Great way to show the whiteout effect.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I've gotta say. If it's gonna be winter and colder than a polar bear you-know-what, it could at least snow. All we get is rain and everything turns gray. Ew.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter