Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



02 February 2007

Vegging Out With A Book

This morning I realized I hadn't gotten any knitting done yesterday. Huh.

I did rake the roof again, with another 2 to 4 inches predicted for today, tonight and tomorrow. (That's 2 to 4 in each period, not 2 to 4 total.)

I really love my aluminum roof rake, which enables even a lightweight like me to clear the roof for a good six or seven feet without climbing on it. I have shovelled the roof before, after a couple of those 26-inch blizzards, and it's just not that fun to stand on a slippery roof wielding a snow shovel and worrying about falling off. Plus the roof rake is far easier on my back.

But my arms are pretty tired, and when I did get indoors yesterday, I raked up the embers, threw a couple of pieces of wood into the soapstone stove, and curled up on the loveseat with my almost-done Pi shawl, popcorn, and Terry Pratchett's The Fifth Elephant.

Later on I made a couple of loaves of bread, because there is nothing like homemade-bread toast with marmalade.

Today I do plan to finish pattern 27 of "Sampler M" and catch up before pattern 28 comes out this weekend, and maybe work a couple of repeats on my Pi shawl border. But I guarantee nothing, because I can see the snow piling up on the roof already.

Raking a couple of inches of snow off every day is a lot easier than it is to wait and rake off a foot of snow. It's just like knitting: it's easier to do a little every so often than it is to try and finish something all in one day.

And here's a nice freezing Lake Michigan picture for you. It's nice to be indoors, warm & dry!

More webcam views are at the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory.

And if you want to go north a couple of hundred miles, these webcams are from the Granite Island Light Station on Lake Superior.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger cheekiemary said...

Yeah - Pratchett! Love Otto Chriek - Enjoy.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

I'm a Pratchett fan -- my collection is not quite complete, because I don't have the Truckers/Diggers/Wings books or the Johnny & the Bomb ones, but I have allllllll the rest.

Now I'm re-reading The Colour of Magic.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter