Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 January 2007

Sorta Winter

We've been getting little sprinkles of snow, just barely enough for my husband to take our son sliding on the hill in the neighbor's hayfield, but not quite enough to cover the tall grass.

Outdoors, it looks like winter is just starting. If we are lucky, the cold weather will hold the fruit trees back and keep the flower buds from swelling and freezing. The newspaper said so far, it looks like only peach trees were advanced enough to lose buds.

It was beautiful weather for knitting on the Pi shawl. I decided it was long enough after 11 repeats on the outer ring, and cast on 15 stitches to knit the seed stitch border.

You can see the start of the border on the left side of the picture. Although I wanted a wide border that would lay flat and not curl up, I was not sure I liked the strong horizontal lines of the seed stitch, and worried that it would contract the lace knitting too much. But I think it is growing on me as it grows, and after three repeats in the lace portion, it doesn't seem to be pulling in.

I knitted 3 rows of seed stitch across the bottom before I cast on for the knitted-on border. Border and all, it is about 23 inches long. I wanted a shawl that would be just short of my sitting on it, because I didn't want to sit on the edge and yank it off my shoulders. This looks about right.


I finished pattern 21 and started pattern 22 of Sampler M, and I worked a couple more rows on the Valdani bag. I wasn't at all happy with my eyelets in pattern 21, but after frogging them a couple of times, and trying about three different ways of knitting them, I decided I had learned enough about eyelets made on six yarnovers, and went on to pattern 22, "Scales".

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bells said...

the pi shawl is looking wonderful! Has it been hard? would you recommend it for someone who hasn't yet made a shawl but has done some lace?

6:32 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

The Pi shawl was not hard -- but I am probably the worst person in the world to get a pattern from! I tend to design things in my head and make them up in reality as I go along. Usually my notes are shorthand reminders to myself about what I did.

If you don't want to do a circular Pi (directions in EZ's "Knitter's Almanac"), I'd go for her horseshoe-shaped "Pi are square" shawl in "Knitting Around".

For my use, I thought the long front ends would be in my way, since this is going to be a sit&knit or sit&blog shawl. So I made it more of a half-circle and less "square".

I'm pretty fearless when it comes to knitting. (Except for maybe c**tting it.) After tatting, I find the ease of frogging almost miraculous. It's only yarn, after all!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter