Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 January 2007

Blue Waffle Scarf Done!

We finally got a little snow, but first we got ice. One benefit of working for the government is that my husband had Monday off, so no long drive on icy roads for him. He sat on the couch in front of the soapstone stove, read, tended the fire, and complained that we had hardly gotten any ice or snow. I'm sure it would have been plenty if he had had to drive in it!

I finished knitting the end of the blue waffle scarf. Since the scarf is a double knit, when it was long enough, I took the stitches onto two needles just as if I was separating two socks knit at once. Then I grafted the stitches from the two needles together.
I really like how the ends came out. They look almost like the edges.

I wore this scarf when I went outside to fill birdfeeders, scoop up after the dogs, and get the newspaper. It was just as warm and soft as I'd hoped. The only drawback to this yarn is that its hard to photograph!

My other favorite scarf is an old green one I've been wearing for many years because it is warm. It will be nice to have an alternative.

This is what I saw when it got light Monday morning. Over the course of the day, it snowed -- a little-- on top of the ice. And it might have been "not very much ice" to my husband, who stayed indoors all day, but it was enough to ice my van doors shut. I had to pry the gate latch open with two hands in order to get out!

But like the rest of this winter, it really wasn't much of an ice or snow storm here. I think Marguerite got a bit more ice than we did. But like she says, the power stayed on.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bells said...

gorgeous scarf. I love the idea of knitting two bits and grafting. What's the pattern?

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter