Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 January 2007

Pi Shawl Progress

Elizabeth Zimmermann warns that when you start a knitted-on border, at first it seems like an infinite job.

In order to keep from giving up, I keep moving my white crochet-thread stitch marker to the end of the next lace pattern repeat, ten stitches away. That way I am knitting a small enough patch not to feel discouraged, and I can see I'm making steady progress. In only two-and-a-half repeats, I'll have emptied my first circular needle and I'll be one-third done!

Last week I ordered the netting shuttles I'll need for the netmaking class I'll be teaching in February, and I finally re-ordered the circular knitting needles from my mail order that disappeared back in October. (The whole order disappeared in the mail, order form, check, and all.)

I bought two US size 1 Susan Bates Quicksilver circulars. All the rest are Susan Bates Silverado circulars: two US size 2, two size 3, and a size 4. I would have ordered all Silverados, but they are not available in size 1.

So maybe the next time I knit a round doily, it might be on a circular knitting needle, instead of a dozen double-points!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter