Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



26 March 2007

Holy CATS!

Or birds, actually.

Drumroll, please:

This evening I saw, from my yard, a pileated woodpecker!

Okay, okay, so it's not an ivory-billed woodpecker, and it isn't exactly an endangered species. But I'll tell you, when you see a brilliantly black and white woodpecker the size of a crow flying around, and you've never seen one except in field guides in your entire life, it's an event.

[insert Woody Woodpecker laugh here]

(What? You didn't know Woody Woodpecker was based on the pileated woodpecker? Haha ha HA hah!)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

Yes@ It's a big deal! Aren't they amazing?

I've only seen one once, last summer, and it was totally memorable. I'm jealous of your sighting.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely know that laugh from the woodpecker, I remember watching the show.

that is so cool--now where was your camera? hehehe

11:09 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

They *are* amazing! The black and white is so striking, it's hard to put into words.

Of course, the camera was nowhere to be found!

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter