Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



14 April 2008

Finished Object(s)

Does another pair of socks count as one object or two?

I did several rows of brioche-in-the-round as I ended the cuff of the "Jardin" socks, mainly to see if I understood it correctly.

("Jardin" isn't a pattern: it's the colorway of the yarn. These are just another iteration of my plain old toe-up socks.)

I remember being taken aback when I read in a knitting book that brioche couldn't be knit in the round.

I had just figured out brioche on a double rake, and to me it seemed obvious that the only obstacle to knitting it in the round was that since you couldn't turn the needle to knit the inside layer, you would end up doing a YO with a knit stitch and purling two together. Unlike some things, this one I could see in my head.

*******

I discovered after sewing the knitting section of the Workwoman's Guide into a thick single-fold pamphlet that some of the patterns had illustrations on Plate 21.

The illustrations are about 100 pages away near the end of the book, and truthfully, "illustration" is probably a generous appellation for some of these little rectangular blobs.

But I decided that some help visualizing a 168-year-old pattern was probably better than no help, so I cut and pasted the figures pertaining to knitting and made the sheet into a center fold.

And as long as I was pulling the linen bookbinding thread out to put Plate 21 in the middle, I took pictures as I sewed it back up.

I didn't do anything complicated, just started from the inside at the second hole and went outwards, like a very thick sewing card.

(Do they even still make sewing cards? Do you know what a sewing card is without Googling it?)

Yes, I know this isn't proper bookbinding. You're not really supposed to single-fold this many sheets. But I also know myself, and so I have to decide: do I want to wait around and do a proper job of it, and most likely never print it out at all? Or do I want to do in a way that's quick and will actually get done?

Sometimes in my life, a good-enough solution is a solution, while a perfect solution that never happens is no solution.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I'm right there with you. I can't tell you how often people in my husband's family don't start something or try something because it won't be perfect. Sometimes, done is better than never tried, y'know? It looks great!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter