Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 August 2009

I'm A-LIIIIIIIIVE!

Hi, I'm alive, didja miss me? Huh, didja, didja?

Saturday I spent the whole day at the Michigan Fiber Festival in humid 90-degree air, and after we got home, two internet installer guys in a van showed up to replace our broadband wireless receiver.

I thought, Great! Because the old one would work, then not work. Then work a little. Then work great for two days, then not work.

So they replaced the Jiffy pop receiver with a square-looking one, and came inside to test the speed. It looked great!

"Thanks a lot!" I said, and they got in their van and drove away, and I'm sure they had no sooner turned onto the street when our son said, "Mom, my game isn't downloading!"

Sure 'nough, it wasn't. Nothing was. Tried powering down the new receiver and powering it back up. Nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Sunday we were at the fiber festival again most of the day, but at the end of the day, still nothing!

We called them on Monday. Blah local tower down blah. And it just happened to coincidentally go down seconds after we got a new receiver? Hm.

Tuesday: tower up, no internet detected. Argh. Called and complained.

Today: called again. Sat and listened to terrible hold music for about half an hour. Sounds like they stretched an old Andreas Vollenweider tape, chopped it into pieces, and put it back together with masking tape.

Finally got different guy who had me unplug the antenna while he did . . . something. Then plug it back in to see if I'm connected. Whoa, magic, internet!

I'm back, hi hi hi!

Fiber festival report later while I recover from this bout of internet withdrawal.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger @eloh said...

Hope you took pictures!!

4:09 PM  
Blogger amy said...

My Internet is blinking out reliably between about, oh, noon and 3:30 or so. Apparently it likes a siesta. Cox thinks it's a problem on our end, overuse or something ridiculous like that, even though it doesn't matter WHAT time I turn the computer on or if it's even on--I can tell by the lights on the router that the Internet isn't working that time of day.

I see Verizon in our future...

4:17 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

We missed you! Welcome back :) There's nothing worse than intermittent internet access. It's one thing to walk away from it of one's own accord, but to be denied it when it's wanted is annoying...

5:57 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

What a hot weekend to be at a fiber festival. Our internet was on and off for a long while and it turned out to be the electric company's wiring.

8:39 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Welcome back! At least you had fun things to do while you were disconnected. What did you bring home?

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter