Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 September 2009

A Break in the Action


The carpenter we hired spent several days last week turning three windows that looked like this:

Into windows that looked like this:
My husband will be doing the taping and mudding of the drywall around the window. He's already painted the window wells, but that looks pretty much the same, only a brighter white.

The pictures don't really show it, but at the top the window well is about seven inches deep, while at the bottom it's only about three. The dome wall leans in, but the window is vertical. A compound miter box is a good thing to have . . .

The carpenter also framed the doorways, the short hallway that connects the rest of the house to the dome room, the fourth window (a regular rectangular one), the arch into the dome, and the baseboards around the dome. So it's finally looking more like a finished room.

Meanwhile, up on the roof, the roofer has one last bit of the roof to tear off, replace plywood if necessary, and reshingle.

The gas to the tiny soapstone stove is still waiting to be hooked up. That should happen pretty soon.

Speaking as an introvert, I will be really happy when all of this is done!

My husband also spent several hours with the chainsaw turning this

into this:


Just beyond this tree, I noticed the jewelweed, touch-me-not or wild impatiens, Impatiens capensis, is in bloom. Hummingbirds love this stuff.And when I was a kid, we used to have fun touching the seedpods and making them explode.

Here is a sure sign of fall: goldenrod is out. I took the picture early in the morning, but once it warms up it will be full of honeybees.

Warning: Spider ahead!

If you are spider-phobic, this would be a good time to go read your next blog. Spider pictures ahead.
.
.
.
Don't say I didn't warn you!
.
.
.
Yesterday when I went outside, I nearly walked into this web (distant picture for the squeamish who couldn't quite resist, closer pictures coming):



Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger  Lona said...

Cool spider! I don't know a thing about them (other than that I live INSIDE and they live OUTSIDE). It looks like he/she is sleeping, hanging from two legs. Neat!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Very cool spider! We have ones about that size (but different coloring) who live in our yard. They usually build their webs across our walks, waiting for the unwary human to be trapped (which is the bit I'm not so fond of). It looks like you all have been busy there!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Knit -University said...

I'm not scared of no spiders! Although walking through a spider web is creepy.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Thank you for the spider warning. My sister in law lives in a geodesic dome which they build themselves over 20 years ago. I remember seeing her husband sitting on the beam at the top as the crane lifted the last piece in place. It was cool. I've always admired that house.

11:54 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Oh my gosh I cannot wait for the work around here to be done, either. Not only because it's tiring having people in and out and using my bathroom and making so much noise, but because all the coordinating is driving me nuts. There are days when NOTHING is going on, because we're waiting for this guy or that guy to do his thing before the other guy can do HIS thing. I'm kind of an efficient person, and this is killing me. And who's the one stuck at home waiting for whoever-it-is to show up? Me. I know if I were in charge this whole thing would be far better organized...

Pretty cool web!! Can't be spider-phobic here. The 5yo picked out some heavy-duty spider books from the library. Yeesh.

4:14 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Awesome spider! Those big girls can eat a MESS of bugs!

Best wishes on getting your home back to yourselves soon. I figure any contractor will take twice as long and cost twice as much as you initially planned.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

ewwww, I'm glad you didn't actually walk into the spider web!

I love popping impatiens pods too, way cool!

4:04 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

I hate spiders, but I have had a tiny look :-) Wow, you have been working hard,it will feel sooo good when you are finished with it all.

5:50 AM  
Blogger @eloh said...

Interesting window problem, are you in a dome house?

10:04 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Spiders outside don't bother me too much, but spiders daring to venture INTO my house tend to get stomped into sub-atomic particles!

10:32 AM  
Blogger ephelba said...

It's a Bertha! It seems like every year, no matter where we live, we end up with a barn spider making her pretty web somewhere on our house. And we always decide it's a she, and we always name her Bertha....When we lived in MI she made her web in the same place every year, which made us think she was, in fact, the very same spider.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter