Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



20 August 2009

Finally Fiber Festival

I don't know that I've ever taken a picture of the Allegan county fairground gates, but I know someone else posted once that you had to love a festival where you were greeted by a giant chicken.

I brought my camera on Saturday, and although I swore I'd remember to take pictures, at the end of the day I realized I hadn't. And then on Sunday, after taking this picture before going through the gate, I suddenly remembered - CAMERA! - around 1:30 in the afternoon.

Although I seem to be in the internet minority on this one, I am really uncomfortable about taking pictures with people I don't know in them. But here is my one shot from the end of one of the vendor barns:

And because I promised Knitting Linguist I'd stop and say hi to Chris and Christy at Briar Rose, here is my one and only shot of a booth:Which, er, I managed to get without either Chris or Christy in it . . . oops!

I took pictures of fiber animals.

Llamas:

Alpacas:
And more alpacas:(These were being offered carrots - I was too slow to get one with its head through the bars lipping carrots from someone.)

Sheep of many different breeds:

And sizes (same size pen, much smaller sheep):

Fiber goats:
Baby goats (born Saturday morning):

And as a surprise finish, on Sunday one of the members of the West Michigan Lace Group brought a whole box of rescued laces, many different pieces that she'd rescued from garage sales and antique stores, made in all different techniques. At one point, Galina Khmeleva came and had an enjoyable time looking through the box and commenting on the various pieces.

In that box was this!If that's not a Niebling design, I'll eat it! It was knitted with 8 repeats, and it looks like it was meant to have six. The asymmetry above the leaves and below the flower makes me wonder if there was a section like in Leberblumchen where you are supposed to repeat the part within the bold lines - maybe the knitter missed that?

And - our member gave this doily to me!

Tomorrow I plan to post more about the festival itself and some of the lovely things I bought there. Right now I need to return to that real life that I remembered was so interesting during my enforced break from the internet!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Awww, baby goats! One of these years...

That's an exquisite bit of lace! I was wondering what you would put it on with all that extra bit, something round like a lamp shade or umbrella frame. Or is that something else I'm seeing?

11:57 AM  
Blogger amy said...

I feel the same way about taking pictures with people I don't know in them. I do try to crop, or blur, when it comes up. I also ask permission and have been known to tell folks I'd like to put a picture on my blog, is that okay? But obviously that's not for a crowd shot.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Thank you so much for delivering my greetings! Great shot of the booth :) I know what you mean about not liking to post pictures of people who don't know they're blog fodder -- I think that's half of why I forget my camera at things like that. I love that you ended up with that piece of lace -- how fun! Now you've got to track down the original pattern and see if a section was missed...

4:33 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Llove those llarge-eyed llamas, and adore the alpacas, but twin baby goats? That pushes the awwww factor right up to the top!

The lace intrigues me. Maybe it was meant to be starched into deep ruffles. I've even seen doilies edged with three-dimensional daffodills. Some crafters can't resist a challenge.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Great photos! Love the bebeh animals especially!! I hardly ever take photos at these kinds of events either - it always seems a bit awkward or something doesn't it.

I was going to suggest maybe the doily was meant to be an umbrella (parasol, I suppose?) as well? What a lovely gift!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I don't like taking photos of people I don't know, either. I try to take shots of large groups and to stay away from individuals. How cool is it that they gave you that doily? I bet you could make one just like it. It scares me to think of it.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Kristina Plaas said...

Love the doily! It looks like Koenigin to me...a doily I have high up on my To Knit list. The Christel doily I knit last spring looked just as yours does now, like there are too many repeats, but once blocked mine was perfectly flat. Enjoy your treasure!

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter