Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 September 2009

Sunday at the County Fair

As we drove through the countryside on the way to the county fair, I took some pictures of what it looks like out there.

The weather was beautiful and sunny for driving past cornfields.

Michigan isn't all flat, but these little rises are about all you get around here. This is an area where you hardly ever see bedrock - it's buried deep in sand and gravel.

I didn't think to take a picture of the gravel mine we passed.

We went by some cows and their calves out in the pasture (and a reflection in the window - it was sunny!)

The sun angle is lower now, so it gets in your eyes instead of being overhead. Fall is coming, but for now everything is green.

And here we have soybeans and a hayfield up to the tree line.

Almost there now!

When we get to the fair, the first thing we do is split up.

My husband takes our son to get a wristband for the carnival rides. I take my camera and head out for the animal barns.

Bunnies!


Chickens!



Goats!


And then there was this guy, who I can only call Mr. Patient.Can you see that he is only held in the stanchion with a little twist of nylon rope? He stood there placidly while the man on the other side of him shaved his shoulder. Meanwhile the woman in the pink shirt was shaving his tail. All he did was stand there and shift his weight.

I love the county fair.

Tomorrow, some actual knitting!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hey Alwen,
thanks for the Fair pics... they make me homesick for the giant chicken at the front gate of the fairgrounds! (i used to live just up the block).
I hope you had a baa-burger!
grins,
kailin

7:23 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Love the fair! Great photos.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was watching a rather large sheep stand like that on Saturday. The woman who was cleaning him/her up said they really can't move much with their heads in the device. He/she wasn't making much noise, just standing patiently while being poked and prodded and clipped. Much better behaved than I would be.

8:09 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

The fair looks so fun, great photos! Fun to see how flat your surroundings are. It is hard to imagine, in most of my country there are at least hills that break the horizon. We have lot of mountains too, but these we can not see from everywhere.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, how fun! I haven't been to a county fair in far too long. Those are great pictures :)

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter