Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



25 March 2010

Little Scraps of Lace

Somewhat magnified. Okay, greatly magnified - the ruler is in inches.The needle is an Inox 4-0 dpn, 1.25mm, and the thread is DMC 80 Spécial Dentelles.

This is "Point Lace Edging" from Eléonore Riego de la Branchardière's 1846 Knitting, Crochet, and Netting.

I love Google Books, and I have scads of the 19th century knitting and netting books bookmarked in my library.

I have a bunch of these downloaded to my hard drive, and then I have a smaller subset that I've printed out chunks of, mostly the knitting and netting and some of the tatting patterns, to try "someday", that mythical day when I'll have everything else done and read and I can devote to the someday things.

Then the new Knitty came out, and there it was! Point Lace Edging not only knitted by Franklin Habit of the Panopticon, but graphed out.

And there was the error that had stumped me, in the 11th row, where suddenly it called for more stitches than I had, and I had given up.

Riego's 11th row says "Knit 2, (make 1, knit 2 together, make 1, knit 2 together, knit 1, knit 2 together, make 1, knit 1, twice,) knit 2 together, knit 2." (Her make 1 is what I would call a yarnover.)

There it is, that opening parenthesis! It's in the wrong spot. And Franklin had corrected it!

The row should say "Knit 2, make 1, knit 2 together, (make 1, knit 2 together, knit 1, knit 2 together, make 1, knit 1, twice,) knit 2 together, knit 2."

I think these are just the cutest little knitted spots in the history of the wuuurrrrrld.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, those are just wonderful! I'm going to have to go check that project out -- I love knitted spots, and there aren't enough of them.

Also, I was so relieved to see that Wensleydale cheese *is* made from sheep's milk, at least sometimes. It was bugging me that there were all those sheep there, producing all that wool, and, one assumes, all that milk, and the milk was going to waste. I am much relieved.

1:27 PM  
Blogger amy said...

How cool you and Franklin have some sort of oonagi going on. But when are you going to start writing articles about all this neat stuff you did up?

3:05 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Fun looking pattern. Thanks for the link to your online library. Some of the books I had seen before, but not all. Now, if I could just fine the time to read them and try all the knitting and netting.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh wow, your library link is outstanding! What an excellent collection.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

I love those spots too - but even more I love your excitement about them!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I think your teeny tiny lace knitting is amazing!!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Hobbygåsa said...

This is so beautiful! And something I never would have started - can't understand how you even see the hook and tread :-)

8:03 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I saw that article and thought of you. It seemed to be right up your alley.

It's so pretty and would look so feminine on a cuff.

8:28 AM  
Blogger One More Stitch said...

Just exquisite! And it must be fun to knit.

11:11 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

I looked at Franklin's pattern in Knitty and thought " that would look so nice on my pillows " then calculated how much I'd need for the back and front each of even just the two front pillows and my head kinda told me I needed to lie down and get over it :]
so I'll just go back to the current lace shawl-that-I-haven't-blogged-about-yet
xxox s

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter