Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 December 2010

Reindeer!

The local library had a visit from a couple of reindeer, but I guess the reindeer didn't fly to the library:

It was a nice day for standing outdoors, 30-ish F (around 0 C) and not windy or snowing. The reindeer were as curious about the people all around as the people were about them.


I guess the library lawn was pretty good, too.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

They're beautiful but not as brown as I expected. I guess reindeer come in colors like other animals. It feels like winter now, doesn't it?

7:58 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

So cute! I was so poisoned by Disnified versions of reindeer that when I finally saw one in person (in Alaska, no less), I wasall "They're so...short and stocky."

It was very confusing to me.

But it did spawn a reindeer obsession (I collect them. The tackier the better) that knows no bounds.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Very cool! What beautiful reindeer (and what a fun day).

3:26 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

About fifteen miles from where I grew up is a big reindeer ranch. Some of those old bucks get such a huge rack of antlers that they can barely hold up their heads. The does have antlers as well. the rancher makes more from selling antlers to the Asian markets than he does from being the reindeer agent for personal appearances.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Goodness me, real reindeer!

You know, I really REALLY prefer a white Christmas ... I spent my early childhood in Connecticut, and cold wintery Christmas is just RIGHT.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

Oh I enjoyed those pics. Real live reindeer!!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

I understand that any reindeer with antlers at this time of year must be female because the males would have lost them by this time. Have you heard that? Did you notice if there were any bucks in this herd? Just curious...

5:46 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

Snopes says that is basically true (that males have generally shed their antlers by December).

But I did a little research and found out that reindeer farms generally use steers (castrated males) and use a hormone treatment to get their antlers to grow and shed at the right time. A lot like forcing Easter lilies!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter