Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 September 2010

Steam Engines, Chickens, a Band Organ, & Knitting

If you hadn't figured it out from this post or maybe this one, I love steam engines, and I usually go to the local antique engine and tractor show every year, to see what turns up.

This year, they had a pair of small steam traction engines sawing logs. Here's the first:Here's the second engine:And a view of the sawmill they were running between them:
Later in the day, they had turned the first one around, and I had to take a picture of that shiny blue paint.
Those were the little small engines, but there were bigger ones, too:
I love machinery where I can follow the logic and see how it works. And I love seeing it all so lovingly tended and kept in working order, instead of used and tossed out for next month's model.

A week later, we were off to the county fair, so I could practice my Occupation (see my Profile).


Of course, if there's anything geeky around (more geeky than figuring out the motion controls on the rides), I'll find it. I heard music and followed it to this Stinson Band Organ:Both sides of the trailer were open, so you could see the organ, and in back, the MIDI roll that controls the instruments. It was the coolest thing.

And did I promise knitting? Okay. Knitting.

My order came from Martinas Bastel- & Hobbykiste.I bought Spitzenstrickerei: Schöne Decken, ISBN-13: 978-3-89798-289-5 (five huge charts of seven Herbert Niebling designs) and Kunststricken: Decken, Garnituren, Spitzen (Bände 408 und 760), ISBN-13: 978-3-89798-269-7, reprinted this year by BuchVerlag für die Frau.

If you're not comfortable ordering direct from Germany, sometimes they show up on Powell's Books website. Powell's charges the Euro price at the current exchange rate, plus an import fee, currently $3 plus $4.50 per item.

Either way, the total price including overseas shipping ends up being about half what I've seen on other websites.

Someone reminded me that I had some older cones of size 30 cotton thread, and I pulled those out of the drawer to see what kind of shape they were in.

One was a 3000-yard cone, but it was brownish and spotted on the outside, so I went looking for a little pattern, 50 rounds or so, to use up the icky cotton on the outside and see how it knitted up.

I picked the small one on the upper left. (It's pattern 12, the upper photo on page 8, Fig. 28 if you have Bände 760.)

Nieblings always seem to have something I've never done in each one.This one has twelve yarnovers in a row to make those big holes. Ulp.

I don't know how that's going to block out, but I'll find out soon, as I only have a round or two left.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

The lace is very interesting. I would have never even considered 12 yarn overs in a row!

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a steam up every year in Brooks, OR about 45 miles from where we live. It's fun and there is always something that makes me scratch my head, thinking "why don't they do it that way anymore!" I love going into Powell's brick and mortar store in downtown Portland. I've been shopping there since 1970!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That lace knitting is absolutely gorgeous! And I love the pictures of the chickens :)

My older daughter's school is right next door to the Antique Gas and Steam Engine Museum (known affectionately around here as the AGSEM), and she even has classes down there. It's fun to see the mill when I drop her off...

4:11 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

You find the coolest patterns!

I'm in love with that blue engine. It looks beautiful. I like machinery when I can determine how it works and why. It makes me feel smart. Some modern things are so complicated that I get lost finding the ON switch.

10:53 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

The ingenuity of our forefathers constantly delights and astound me. An old guy I knew fifty years ago had a sawmill run by a model-T Ford. You jacked up the rear, took off one wheel and hooked up a drive
belt to the hub. It was the coolest thing! He and his brothers all built their own homes from trees right off their property. And t hey would hhire out to the neighbors during the winter when the farming was slow.

Have we ever seen a photo of the finished Stargate?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Huh, we've just been watching the episode of mythbusters where they reconstruct and test a Civic War era steam machine gun. You may have seen it.

Also, those 12YO holes are great - I would expect 12YOs to make a REALLY big hole, maybe I wrap loosely?

6:08 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

That black and white chicken is inspirational.

I've heard that Niebling patterns have a ton of errors in them... but I'm betting you can correct them as you go.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Hobbygåsa said...

Interesting reading, and great shots!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter