Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 June 2010

Lazy Summer Post

Now that it's high summer here (and I haven't drowned in the night in yet another pouring thunderstorm), here are some pictures I took Sunday.

The grass by the path south into the little maples is getting long. (I went out and mowed after I took pictures.)

Inside the little maples it's cool and shady and absolutely zinging with mosquitoes. I could barely stand still long enough to take two pictures, and then I swatted five in two slaps.This is the kind of deep shade (and mosquito activity) I grew up in. All summer I used to wear jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and Deep Woods Off mosquito repellent. I never came back to school with a tan.

Just past the little maples you pop back out into the bright sun. But there are so many mosquitoes, they don't care. They just keep chasing and biting you.

This picture is looking south, before I get to the loop path.

I can't believe the goldenrod on the loop is this tall already. If you click on the picture to see the large version, the spiky grass bits are reed canarygrass, Phalaris arundinacea. Canarygrass (all one word) likes wet soil and will grow over seven feet tall.I don't really like it when the grass gets that high. I guess I fear lions in the bush or something.

A lot of the loop either has standing water on it, or else is brown squooshy mud covered with deer tracks. Can't stop to take photos! Mosquitoes will eat me! This shot is at the end of the loop looking north towards the third photo.

After I took all these pictures, I went out and mowed the whole path again twice around, as well as the yard around the house. Then I had a shower, drank about nine gallons of lemonade, and complained about my wrists hurting on Twitter.

Now I need to go fling my things into a heap and get ready for Origins.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Virginia G said...

That's really really gorgeous!

I'm not really a fan of tall grass either. I'm allergic to it, and I have a deep deep hatred of rats (who love the tall grass)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Alwen said...

I haven't seen a rat since I was about 5 years old. Possums, raccoons, moles, voles, and all varieties of mice, but no rats!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

So beautiful, and green! It's done being green around here, and we're now into browns and golds. No mosquitoes, just ticks (ew).

1:13 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Looks hot and sunny, and really beautiful! I don't like mosquitoes either... We don't have much of them here where I live, but up in the mountains at our cabin there is a lot of them :-)

3:32 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Do the mosquitos try to chase you down while you're on the mower, or do you go tto fast for them? (There goes Alwen, thirty miles an hour on the mower, wind in her hair, and a black cloud of starving mosquitos trailing behind her. Twice around the loop being just enough to confuse the skeeters, she then drives at top speed into the tool shed, while the swarm continues around the circuit without her. It is vitally important to keep the brakes on the mower in top condition, or Alwen will smash right through the back of the shed and emerge in an explosion of trowels, spades, mattocks and potting soil

7:17 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The mosquitos have been especially hungry this year (and numerous, too). They have been keeping me from sitting outside.

7:35 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

I am envying you your summer - so beautiful and lush! It is grey and drizzly and chilly today - although now the longest night has passed the cold weather will really start - but at least we have turned the corner toward spring!

You have been so wonderfully busy and productive - gorgeous lace your are producing!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Yes, the current batch of mosquitoes are numerous, annoying, and blog worthy.

Nice pictures/

2:29 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

I'm just stunned by how GREEN everything is - summer in Australia (where I am, anyway) generally means *brown* :p What a luscious place you live, even if there are mosquitoes.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I absolutely love long grass, although I do find it a bit ticklish. A couple of summers ago our back yard totally got away from us; being a realist, I knew it had to go, but I enjoyed the green and gold while awaiting the arrival of the lawn service I had hired with their heavy-duty mower. We don't have rats; we do have ticks, but not very many this year, I don't know why.

2:40 PM  
Blogger StickLena =KnitLena said...

Visible difference, as Elizabeh Arden said...

Long grass in inviting ticks...

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter