Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 May 2010

Knit Like the Winde!

I was tired of knitting "Tulip Time", so I cast on the very smallest pattern I could find from Kunststricken: Große und kleine Decken.This is "Winde" (convolvulus or morning glory), a square pattern shown on page 12, where nine squares have been knitted and joined together.

I am probably not going to knit eight more, since I find the flower a little stiff or stylized for my taste.

The thread is one of four vintage 100-yard balls of DMC size 8 perle cotton in color 906 "medium parrot green", and the needles are US 1, 2.25 mm.

This morning I tried to knit it onto my size 1 circular. Bleh. My circ. is a little too long, and wow! Is it awkward to knit a square on a circ! But I needed longer dpns...

So I dug into my storage drawer full of single-pointed needles I hardly ever use, and beheaded four 14-inch single points. I filed the former knob ends into blunt rounded points.

And this morning I've used these four single points more than I ever had since I bought them.

The knitting is slowing a little as I get out to the 50+ stitch rows, but a 200-stitch round still goes faster than the 1000 or so I am up to on "Tulip Time."

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

Looks good! Lovely green color.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Fantastic. I love the idea of using vintage cotton to use something so old worldy!

5:21 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Your lace chops just knock me out! Mad skillz - you haz them!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I like the square lace. You could make one square and frame it.

I like the flower and I like the idea of making an old pattern out of old cotton. Fits somehow.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, I really love that color!

And I think you're right about the mockingbird id; and I love that Silverstein poem. It's one of my favorites, along with:
Lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy lazy Jane.
She wants a drink of water so she waits and waits and waits and waits and waits for it to rain.
Heh.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Hobbygåsa said...

It is so beautiful! I admire your patience with those lace patterns, when I have knitted a shawl it takes ages before I start on more lace :-)

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter