Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 April 2010

The Blue Cow's Tale

Everyone seems to like the blue cow, so I thought I'd tell what I know of her story.

She started out as one of those fiberglass art project cows. She might have been one of the Cows on Parade in Chicago back in 1999. The owner of Sherman's Dairy Bar bought her after the show was over, and for years she stood inside the brown garage door next to the entrance to the dairy bar. I remember her as white with flowers and leaves painted on her.

A couple years ago she showed up on the roof, painted blue-moon-ice-cream-blue, with a cowbell around her neck (and chains and a padlock to keep the wind or vandals from carrying her away).

They tell the kids "That's where Blue Moon ice cream comes from!"

She stands up there all year round, and in the winter I've often thought I should get a picture so I could say it was so cold even the cows turned blue.

I just found out that Sherman's has a Facebook page.

Since we're local, we usually go to Sherman's on rainy stormy days. The lines are shorter then, and that's when you'll find old farmers and their wives in there, enjoying a waffle cone and the flowers on the table.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

Love the blue cow. I can imagine her with vines and flowers, too. Maybe in May, guerilla artists could deck her with wreaths of flowers and ribbons. Or someone could knit her a sweater for Christmas.

Someone in our neighborhood has a small plywood sheep cutout which she decorates and places strategically around her yard. A wreath of pink hearts for Valentine's Day, bunny ears for Easter, A big green bow around the neck for St. Pat's Day . . .

9:19 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

So that's where Bluemoon ice cream comes from! I never knew that. Amazing what you can learn on the Internet.

11:48 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Cool - love the blue cow :-)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That's a great story -- I love that blue cow!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

That's a lovely story. I like it.

Plus, what's not to like about a blue cow?

6:54 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

In Santa Cruz there is, or was, a place that had a lot of these sorts of cowsrtll gussied up and artzy. Very good post..fun! like your blog.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter