Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



14 April 2010

Bitten by the Domesticity Bug

This doesn't happen often, this attack of domesticity.

I got up and knitted for an hour before coffee. I'm up to row 93 of chart D on Lilac Time.

Then I made coffee, knitted a bit more, and apparently went into hyperdrive.

The child woke up and ate some breakfast. He is reading Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, and said something about fire lizards. I said, "Ha, for a second I thought you said butter lizards."

Instantly he imagined and began telling me the Natural History of the Butter Lizard, what it looked like, how much butter it ate, and how it got into the butter. Fascinating.

Since he was out of his bed I stripped it and stuffed sheets and light laundry into the washer.

I did a water exchange in the tank of the ailing orange fish and fed both fish. We fed dogs. I put fresh sheets on the bed, carried the clean laundry outside in the sun, and hung it on the clothesline.

I ran the washer through its Clean cycle. I got online and did some moderating on a couple of Yahoo groups. I read Girl Genius.

We had some lunch. I went outside and got the mail and the newspaper, then I ended up pulling myrtle that's trying to take over the lawn for over half an hour. (Really, how does the stuff get everywhere so fast?)

Then I went inside and made a batch of bread. While it rose, I washed and washed and washed dishes.

Oh, yeah. The dishwasher broke a couple of weeks ago. It needs a new drain solenoid. I ordered a new drain solenoid. It hasn't come yet.

Then I baked the bread and read the paper and went for a walk outside with the kid until black flies drove us indoors.

I hate black flies.

The weather is gorgeous. It's gorgeous outside, sunny, with a mild breeze. Flowers are blooming, leaves are just starting to expand, and it's lovely to be outside.

I really hate black flies. Thank goodness for window screens.

I went out and snatched the laundry off the line to fold indoors. Now I am really, really tired, and the house smells great. Fresh bread and clean sheets.

Oh, yeah, and a dog that apparently caught something in the grass right next to the fence and has gas that would fell an ox.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger  Lona said...

Are you nesting?

10:02 PM  
Blogger amy said...

I'm curious what your days are normally like, because I think I'm doing something wrong over here! I realized the other day that it is nonstop for about 7 hours per day--a couple in the morning, then from the time I pick the boys up from school until about 8pm. Just. Non. Stop. And in between those times, I'm racing after the toddler (which is super fun, just a little tiring). And I don't even have freshly washed sheets or baked bread to show for it!!

And I LOVE hearing about made-up creatures. Did you write it all down?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Phew! Exhausting but satisfying :) You must be loving having spring finally arrive (apart from the flies!).

11:28 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I loved the Butter Dragon conversation (of course, I also love the Pern books); I think my kids would like your kid (and that I'd better not introduce them to the idea of Butter Dragons, or the conversation would be endless!). It sounds like a good day :)

11:29 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

It occasionally happens to me - I think domestic tasks sometimes have a snowball effect, if I am feeling energetic, and each little thing is satisfying to get done, then move on to the next one... but most of the time I am not on top of it and would rather knit!

1:28 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Well, something had to balance out all the fresh smelling goodness!

I love days like that. They don't happen very often but I always feel like somehow I really lived those days.

8:43 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Sounds like a full charge on your solar batteries. I stand in awe!

And I would LOVE to know about butter lizards. Your son rocks!

Sun-dried laundry. Mmmmmmm.

Black flies - big biting suckers, or little swarming, get in your eyes and nose critters?

9:09 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Sounds very satisfying!

My husband and I are playing hooky from EVERYTHING right now, and are about to take the daughter off to the botanical gardens to see the cherry blossoms.

Disgusting cat-hairy carpet in the living room not withstanding.

:)

11:08 AM  
Blogger peony said...

OMG that sounds so busy... my head is spinning

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter