Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



11 May 2010

Did You Hear That?

A loud squee! noise coming out of Michigan?
Ordinarily that would be me, coming home Kathy Kirchner's trunk show at the West Michigan Lace Group meeting with a copy of Knitted Lace 2 (Kunst-Stricken II), a hot pink tatting shuttle, and my usual haul of Valdani thread.

(And yes, my mom did send me home with another bottomed-out chair. I swear right here in public that I will finish this one in months instead of years.)

But the squee ended up being over this:

Look! Do you see what I see? To me it looked so familiar!
It's the Gertrud Woywod pattern I knitted from the back of The Knitted Lace Patterns of Christine Duchow Vol 3
.

There can't, there can not be two Gertruds who came up with this exact pattern. Gertrud Woywod must be Gertrud Villforth. (The Lacis book says “Billforth”, a mistake due to the confusing German fraktur alphabet on the cover. German sources say Villforth.)

And if you were intrigued by the flower edging, but put off by the handwritten chart, there it is all charted out in neat symbols, with a matching insertion. Sweeeeeeet!

Now I must go page through the back of the Duchrow book some more and see if I can find any more of these in Kunst-Stricken II.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Virginia G said...

coooooooooool!

And oh so pretty!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, double squeee!! So cool.

11:27 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

You so totally rock! That stuff scares me spitless and you are thrilled and challenged. I venerate you!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Amazing!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter