Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



21 September 2009

A Sampler Post

Sort of like those candy boxes that have all different things in them.

In no particular order:
For Roxie, our mini soapstone stove with a coffee mug for scale. The curved metal skirt in the front is about 14-1/2 inches (37 cm) wide, and it's 17 inches (43 cm) tall.

No, I don't plan on leaving my mug in front of it, but I'll bet the soapstone top will work just as well as one of those electric mug-warmers.

The weather has warmed back up a bit, so I won't be able to try it as a mug warmer until it cools back off outside.

I saw a hummingbird on some of the New England asters, Symphyotrichum novae-angliae, that I rescued from the bulldozers a couple of years back, but I was too slow to get her photo this time. We had a really dry year in 2007 and I lost a lot of the plants I moved. The survivors are thriving this year, which was much wetter.

Yesterday I was thrilled to see a volunteer plant blooming down by the neighbor's drainage trench. They always remind me of the magician's bouquet that he pulls out of his sleeve.

On the non-knitting front, the Vale of York Viking hoard is going to be on display at the Yorkshire Museum from 18 September to 1 November this year. I particularly love the silver-gilt cup. This is the hoard that was only discovered a couple of years ago.

On the knitting front, lace knitters, we can start the party today!

Susanna Lewis's long out-of-print book, Knitting Lace is being reprinted by Schoolhouse Press and is currently available for pre-orders!

If you were planning to sell your copy to pay for your retirement, I guess you're out of luck. But if you've been watching copies on eBay go for $100, now you can order your very own for $29.95. That's only $5 more than the original price back in 1992.

Now I can finally order my own and quit worrying that the library's will go missing.

One of my favorite things, a cone of . . . gray string?Very nice string. ColourMart cashmerino string, over 2100 yards of it. I'm not sure what it's going to become yet.

When I cut and pasted the Woywod chart, I discovered that the join makes a little three-petalled flower, so I am going to knit enough of a second repeat to make that show.
Our son kept saying, "What flower?" when I showed him this, so I dragged the photo into PhotoStudio and made free with the spray paint tool.
Now I only have about five more pattern rows before the flower is finished, so I must go knit!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Cashmere makes very lovely string indeed.

I about fell out of my chair when Meg turned up in the Lace Knitters group on Rav with that announcement.

Birthday money, here I come!

5:06 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Oooo, your itty bitty stove is adorable! Thanks for the scale photo. It's much smaller than I had imagined. It's charming!!

9:52 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Hehe great PaitShop job. I love your stove, it will keep you warm in winter, I'm so sure :-) And lovely knitting, this will turn out so pretty!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh, thanks for the info on the hoard. Somehow I'd missed all refrence to it. I blame chasing plant news. Anyway. VERY cool.

My copy of Knitting Lace is so trashed it was unfit for retirement anyway. I'm glad everyone else will be able to get their own copies soon.


Verification word: hooiderl - some kind of traditional dance from Indiana.

1:52 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous flowers (all of them - especially the lace one!)
and I want the baby giraffe - the chicken with the fooffy hairdo and the bunnies.

Can I come to your county fair next year?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

The lace knitting is lovely! And I like your use of spraypaint to teach the young one. The stove is darling -- I hadn't realized it was quite so small, but I'm charmed.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

I have some of that cashmere too. It's exciting and daunting to see so much of it!

And yes, there's the flower! It looks gorgeous!

3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter