Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



17 September 2009

Feels Like Fall

The weather is cooling off, and we finally have the new soapstone ministove completely installed. Is this thing cute as a button or what?

It took us almost a year to the day to get everything ready. We tore out the old furnace closet, scrapped the nasty old inefficient LP gas furnace, bought a cabinet & countertop to put it on, and came up with a heatproof pad for it to sit on. Then we had help installing the chimney and had to find someone to connect the gas.

This morning (44F, 7 C), manual in hand, I turned the little knobs on the side and look, flames and everything!

We still have to get through the yuck period of high-temperature paint-curing smells, but we only have to go through that once.

Anyway, I did promise knitting, so here's what I've been knitting.

In the back of The Knitted Lace Patterns of Christine Duchow Vol 3, there are several hand-drawn charts of patterns from the notebooks of Gertrud Woywod.

I started wondering what they looked like knitted up, and here is the result.

Not exactly Herbert Niebling, but interesting.

After a while, my brain adapted to /=YO, g=k2tog, r=knit, a=ssk, and rv=ktbl. I eventually figured out that "WM" (Wickel-maschen) was like what Mary Thomas calls "clustering tie stitch," where you wrap the thread around and around the base of the indicated stitches. A nupp would probably work, too.

But I got kind of tired of trying to see the cursive-written rs and so on, so I poked around until I found David Xenakis's Knitter's Symbols Fonts over at knittinguniverse.com.

A couple of hours of chart-translation later, I have a Burda-like chart I can read without taking off my glasses. I can see why some of the weirdness in this pattern happens. And I can cut and paste and see how it would look if I knitted more than one repeat.

So that's been my fun for the week! What's yours?

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

What a cute little stove. We've had some cooler days too but ours are in the 50's and 60's. Fall is definitely here.

Smart move on changing the pattern!

7:29 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

You blow my mind! What intelligence you have. Bet you could break complex ciphers like so many potatochips!

How about a teapot or a coffee cup next to the stove for scale? It looks cute as a ladybug.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Don't you just love knitting fonts? That is sometimes the first thing I do if a pattern is uncharted or charted with unfamiliar symbols.

40's??? I'd be happy if we'd stay down in the 70's.

2:07 PM  
Blogger kbsalazar said...

OOH! I'm working on those pages, too, although I haven't made much progress since I blogged about it back over a year ago.

http://www.string-or-nothing.com/2008/01/01/ChristineDuchrowsKnittingPatterns.aspx

But I do have all the charts ported over to modern notation and have even done some test knitting. I'm finding that small sections are reliable, but things fall out of kilter fast. Will be watching your progress with great interest! Kim

7:24 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, very cool. The lace is lovely, and I love your pattern translation; I think my brains would have leaked out my ears trying to read those other symbols (which maybe means that I should do things like that more often?). The stove looks wonderful, too, and just in time -- mornings are starting to sound chilly!

12:01 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Yeah, that's a cute stove hehe. And lovely knitting too!

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter