Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 May 2010

Creative Avoidance

Creative avoidance. That's when I'm nearly finished with something, and instead of actually finishing it, I start something else.

I found a doily I really liked in my new book, Knitted Lace II (Kunst-Stricken II):Coincidentally, my great-grandmother's name was Ruth, and her family was German.

It's square and small, only 49 rows. I cast on last night and started knitting. I'm up to row 30-something.

The octopus helps me keep the book open to the chart.It likes the doily because it is on eight 00 needles.

I found this swirl-pattern doily at an estate sale the other day. I soaked most of the yellow out of it, but it has one reddish-brown stain that didn't lighten much. If we get some sun, I might try sun-bleaching it. That works really well on tomato stains, but it doesn't do much versus tea or coffee. I couldn't find an exact match on Ravelry. The edging is a separate garter-stitch lace that has been sewn on.

Anyone recognize it?

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger catsmum said...

Chez catsmum creative avoidance is referred to as active procrastination

7:51 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Very, very pretty! I really like the color you're using, too. Did the sun help the stain on the other doily? It used to really help with cloth diaper stains. If I remember correctly, that worked better when they were still damp. Is the same true with the doily, do you think?

9:38 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Love that doily, am not surprised you just *had* to knit it immediately!

6:31 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

So Stargate languishes while Ruth flourishes?? Ruth is definitely gorgeous, and I can see the appeal, but Stargate - doesn't it feel like you are carrying that baby past term?

10:02 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

There is something about finishing a project.

I love the small square Ruth. It's so delicate. You do the mos beautiful lace.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

I feel you. I'm procrastinating on a sweater because I'm flipping out about cables.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I don't, alas, but that swirly center motif is one of my favorites! All of your lace is looking good, and the octopus seems quite cheerful about doing his job!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh man! I don't recognize the doily, but it is so lovely that reverse-engineering it is very tempting....

I hope the reddish stain lifts!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter