Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



20 May 2010

Intermittent Net

What a week!

I've been struggling with an intermittent internet connection (and a cold) most of last week.

So let me do a quick summing-up.

First off, the robin and her nest. We had cold frosty weather much of last week, but by the weekend, she was feeding babies.

I tried and tried to catch her on the nest feeding them, but one baby craning its head up was the best I could get:

And then seconds after I got that picture, two more popped their wobbly little heads up:

It must be spring in Michigan, because while I was lurking at the window trying to take robin photos, a pair of mourning doves and their baby landed on the garden wall:I see mourning doves all the time, but I think this is the first time I've seen one so young.

Ruth in the bath looks like something you might find in a tide pool:

My first pinning attempt used a lot of pins, all my rustproof florist pins, and I still wasn't quite happy with it.This little doily reminds me so much of some of the Niebling designs, where he totally ignores the "increase by X per round per needle to create Y shape" and just blithely creates beautiful floral shapes. Your rigid one-at-the-end-of-each-needle, like Winde, you will not find in Ruth!

I tried a second time to pin out Ruth, this time stringing a nylon thread through the outer round, tying it, and pinning inside the cord.I still used almost all my pins, but I like the smoother sides of the square better.

I found two errors in the chart near the end, detailed in my Ravelry project notes.

Let's see, what else?

I don't have a new photo of the swirl doily, but I soaked it in water and washing soda, rinsed it multiple times, and dried it out in yesterday's sun. That stain lightened considerably, hooray!

Yesterday I went to a local estate sale, and came home with this haul:Several nice sets of dpns, a copy of Emma Brockstedt's 1916 Practical Tatting Book No. 1, a couple sets of straight needles, multiple nylon circular needles, and something new to me called a "condo needle", with a large end and a small end, all for six dollars.

All things taken together, a good week, especially as I shake this cold.

Now to see if I can get this to post!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

Isn't this a beautiful day?

Love all the baby birds that are showing up here and there. Have a nest of Tree Swallows part way through the egg laying.

1:58 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Nylon circs are my favorite needles!!

Awwww, baybiees! Gotta say, baby birds really need to get their feathers on to be cute. Newborn kittens are adorable before they can open their eyes, but birds? Nuh uh!

7:14 PM  
Blogger Walden said...

Ruth is beautiful! Wonderful found you got!

10:15 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Oh so cute photos of the little babies! And what a beautiful doily, great color and pattern, you are sooo good at this!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I like Ruth better with the smooth sides, too. It's beautiful. What a great haul you made! I never find that kind of stuff at estate sales. The one chance I had at a spinning wheel, someone had called ahead of me and bought it (which I didn't think was fair since I was THERE).

I hope you're feeling better by now. Spring colds seem to go on and on.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I'm glad it posted -- so many good things! The baby birds are darling; we're starting to see them around here, too (the hummingbirds are my favorites). And I love the doily in the water -- it looks like a jellyfish in a tidepool. Of course, it's equally lovely pinned out, very organic in its pattern. And nice haul from the yard sale! We never get good knitting stuff in yard sales or antique stores around here, I wonder why?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

I hope your internet issues are solved soon.

The baby robins are supercute. Love them. We've been seeing a lot of pigeon sex (SHAMELESS pigeons) and a few pigeon babies. Amazingly enough, in NYC, pigeons are hatched looking skanky. Go figure.

Love the lace. That looks beautiful. And congrats about the stain lightening up!

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter