Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



08 September 2010

First Amendment

I shouldn't have to say this, and I don't like having to say it, because political stuff tends to make me sputter incoherently. I like to write and talk, but I don't argue well.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


And yes, "free exercise thereof" does include religions that I personally think were made up by charlatans; and speech that makes me want to administer dope slaps; and assemblies of people with opinions I consider regrettable.

Because the whole freedom thing means not just for me, but also for them.

That's what this country is about.

And tomorrow: Back to knitting. Or netting. Or dog pictures.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

May I ask what in particular made you feel the need to post this?

1:51 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I was wondering if the Tea Party figured into this somehow. I was listening to some of their rhetoric (it is election season after all) and had to remind myself that we are all entitled to our own beliefs. Even if I don't agree with you, I respect your right to believe what you believe.

8:27 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Yeah, I've been wondering where we come off forbidding Muslims to build a mosque on property they already own. And as for that asshat preacher in Florida, I don't care what he does, but doesn't the mass media have more important things to cover? Why raise one vehement jerk to a position of importance?

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've often said that freedom of speech means that everyone's entitled to be just as wrong as they want to be.

Good post, thanks

12:34 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I think Roxie has the right idea. Somewhere along the line we decided to reward chronic narcissistic tantrum-throwers with their own media platform and tons of money instead of ignoring them as they deserve.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Preach it, lady!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Yes, yes, yes! I've always said that I'll defend the right of people to say stupid stuff as much as I defend my right to tell them they're saying stupid stuff. That's what the First Amendment is about.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Very well said.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Standing on my chair clapping!

2:55 PM  
Blogger lorrwill said...

I just found your wonderfully crafty blog and now I want to hug you.

Do you usually have that effect on total strangers?

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter