Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



13 July 2010

Where I've Been, Where I Am

We went to Origins in Columbus, Ohio, a couple of weeks ago.

This is what we saw when we stopped at the end of the driveway on the morning we left:It, ah, rained a bit in the night.

That brown lake of water is the little drainage ditch that goes through a drainpipe under our driveway. They used a power shovel to straighten and clear it this spring.

Question: did they clear the drainpipe itself?

My husband was impressed enough that he stopped the car so I could take a picture from the road.

Storms chased us clear from Michigan to Ohio, and there was an earthquake in Canada while we were driving that they say was felt back at home.

Ah, but we were at Origins June 23rd to 27th. Where have I been since then?

Sharing a slow dial-up connection plugged into one computer with my husband and our son.

When we got home Sunday night after Origins, we couldn't get a connection with our wireless antenna. Huh. But it was late, and we were tired, so we unloaded the car and didn't worry about it.

However, this turned out not to be a slow and laggy connection, but no connection at all. The ISP said the severe storms we had the week we left (including the one the night before) had taken out about 80 antennas and a couple of broadcast towers.

So we were on the list, but the installer/repair guy could only fix about 4 or 5 antennas a day, depending on how far he had to drive that day.

What to do in the meantime?

My Colourmart order came Tuesday.
The little pointy samples, the ones that look like upside-down houses, are: almost-white 50/50 cashmere/merino, silvery 50/50 wool/silk, light grey 10/90 cashmere/merino, and grey 20/20/60 cashmere/silk/merino.

The half-purled, half-knitted samples above and next to them are the six possible combinations of two.

I knitted the single-strand samples on US 2 needles and the double-strand ones on US 4s.

These come with the spinning oil still on them, so while knitting they look thin and stringy, but they bloom nicely after a wash and rinse. This is the white one before its bath.

Now I have to knit the Last.Two.Rows on the Stargate and block it so I can contemplate what I'm going to knit with 8000+ yards of laceweight cashmere & silk blends.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Wow. You'd think maybe they'd hire an extra repair guy. Glad you came through the storms okay, especially while driving!

11:46 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

Interesting. We have friends less than 2 miles of us who have no internet since about that time, too--due to storm damage.

I guess it's probably related to your trouble. Yet we don't have a bit of trouble. Different towers/providers, I suppose.

So how are you posting? The local library?

8:01 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Glad you're back! The lake looks... intimidating.

We're just now getting storms in NYC. We've been in a drought for the last few weeks, no rain at all. Sigh.

I can't believe you've only got two rows left on the star gate! Can't wait to see it.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Those storms knocked power out all over the place. very heavy and damaging.

I used some of that 20/20/60 cashmere/silk/merino for a shawl and loved it. It bloomed into a soft and gorgeous yarn. Colourmart is a wondrous place.

8:13 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Cashmere/silk/merino? oh drool! That'll make your fingers happy!

Awesome weather you get there. It looks as if there's a small geyser in the first photo of the lake. How deep was it?

9:18 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

The double-strand swatches are beautiful! What subtle colours.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

I'm impressed with your water, too.

We had a 25 foot oak branch blow down and land right under and parallel to the power line to the house without taking out the power. I didn't see it fall and am still wondering how that happened - but happy for no power outage.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter