Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 August 2010

Rest in Peace

My grandfather, my dad's dad, died last Thursday at the age of 99.

He and my grandmother lived at home together until barely a week before his passing, the same house where my cousins and I played in the yard in the summer, drenched in bug spray, until it got too dark to see, had snowball fights in the yard on Thanksgiving, and crowded into the living room on Christmas eve.

He and his brother owned a lumber company when I was a kid, and the smell of pine lumber still takes me back to the big lumber sheds with the railroad spur that ran right into them for unloading.

I used to walk over there after Girl Scouts, and when they closed up, he and my grama would drive me home. He always let me pick a sucker out of the box behind the counter - always Dum Dum Pops, and I usually picked cream soda or root beer.

When my youngest brother was born when I was thirteen, it was the day before Thanksgiving, and I stayed overnight at their house until the holiday the next day.

When I was fifteen, he gave me a Zane Grey book, The Light of Western Stars, that had been given to him 48 years earlier.

After the lumber company was sold and he retired, he and my grama used to take their camper out to southern California and Arizona for the winter. He was one of those people who liked to drive and not stop, and could tell you to the minute how long a route took - if you did it in a straight shot.

One of my aunts said to me one day, "You're a lot like your grampa." I asked her how. She said, "You have the same dry sense of humor. You say something, and ten minutes later I realize it was funny."

We always got together with them between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my uncles and aunts and their kids, now married, and their kids, some of them now with kids of their own. It was quite a roomful.

We'll miss you, Grampa.

17 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories and that he enjoyed life. A close family is a wonderful thing.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Sorry about your Grampa - how wonderful that you have such great memories of him.

6:18 AM  
Blogger amy said...

So sorry.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

What a wonderful legacy he left in you. You made me miss my own grandparents and get all misty as I sit here remembering how wonderful they were.

I'm glad you have such beautiful and warm memories and I'm sorry for your loss, alwen.

8:11 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

I am so sorry for your loss. And it is great you have so wonderful memories of him.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

That was a really beautiful tribute to your grampa and the time you spent with him.

I'm sorry for you loss.

Lots of hugs to you!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

So sorry, Alwen. What a lovely tribute to your grandfather.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Excellent memories. He sounds like a great guy. You were lucky to have so many years with him. I'm sorry you lost him.

9:40 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Hugs. So hard to know what to say. But I think you ought to write down your memories. When my dad died, people told me stories about him. I learned a whole different side of him and was wonderfully comforted. Write it down, and share it with the kids who were too young to really know him, and with your grandmother, who will be touched by your memories and will share some of her own. It's a way to memorialize him.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry, alwen. These are all lovely memories.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I know that you'll miss him, but I also know that he would love the way that you are remembering him.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Healing thoughts for you an your family in this hard time. Thank you for sharing those memories, they made me feel like I had met him.

2:35 PM  
Blogger peony said...

Sorry for your loss, but it sounds he had a long life and you have lovely memories of him...

8:09 AM  
Blogger scienceprincess said...

I'm sorry you lost your Grampa. In many ways, your description reminded me of my own who died in 2002 at 98.

I still miss mine, sometimes. I wish I had something insightful to say, but I really don't.

Take care.
sarah/scienceprincess

8:56 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

3:45 PM  
Blogger scienceprincess said...

Thanks for the castle link :-) That is pretty cool, and I might even be able to manage a trip there in the next year . . .

Hope things are getting a little easier for you.

Sarah/scienceprincess

11:18 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Remember your grampa with love. A nice warm feeling.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter