Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 July 2010

Nature and Netting

We had more rain Wednesday night. I took the camera in the morning when I went down to see how the drainage ditch handled it.When the rain filled the ditch the last time, we had gotten about 2.72 inches of rain in just over 24 hours. This time we only had 0.65 inches. I could see where the water had risen and made the mud shiny, but it was already down by 10 am.

Camera in hand, I went walking around to see what I could see.

A while ago I spotted this indigo bunting nest while picking black raspberries. There was one bunting egg in the nest and two cowbird eggs. I identified which was which after a little Googling and removed the cowbird eggs. This morning the parents were feeding their fledgling outside the nest already.

These hot pink flowers are Deptford pinks, Dianthus armeria. They are tiny little things that grow wild in the grass.

I try to mow around moth mullein (Verbascum blattaria) rosettes when I notice them in the grass, and eventually I am rewarded with a spike of flowers. I have both white and yellow ones, but the white made the prettiest picture.I'm always a little bemused to find some of my favorite wild flowers are alien species.

In fibery news, I've been bashing my brains against the netting wall again, trying to figure out a 17th century netting pattern from text directions.

The first four rows are straightforward, and from there it's downhill. I've tried several possibilities for the vague fifth row, and unpicked the knots a number of times..

The directions for the sixth and seventh rows are very plain, and put some constraints on what can have happened in the fifth row, so I drew many diagrams and made some assumptions, and got as far as this.

It's good work for hot humid summer days. Our dew point hasn't dropped below 60 F for days, and I wouldn't be touching thread at all if not for the air conditioner wringing the water out of the air.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

Painful to think of those pretty little blue finches with two cowbird tyrants to feed. Glad you relieved them of the problem.

I liked last year's nice cool summer much better than this.

12:48 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Oy, the dew point. My walls were sweating. And floors.

I love mullein, although I think I'm thinking of a different species. I like how the leaves are fuzzy soft. :)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

You have my sympathy and empathy on the netting. Some of those instructions are straight forward and others . . . Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Maybe I should include a section on my new Netting Nook where whose who are interested can work together to replicate the old patterns.

Where did you find this one?

3:49 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Sounds like threat would be all I could handle with a dewpoint like that! I really really don't like humidity, sigh...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, shoot. I meant "thread", not "threat" (says something about how I feel about humidity, though, no?).

4:09 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Is that what those pink things are? I learn something new every day.

Best of luck with the netting. Me, I'm just trying to knit round lace. Slowly.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Mmm... The netting looks a LOT like bobbin lace. When we were in Puerto Rico we went to a little town named Moca. The main industry there is bobbin lace, and there were quite a few really amazing practioners of the art there. I thought of you... your blog...

8:33 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Checking in on your blog is like turning on the Discovery channel. I just love all the things you teach me!!

What will the netting be used for? It's a lot of work for catching fish.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I make my daughter mow around the wild flowers that show up in the lawn, too. I like to see the bright bits in the middle of the green.

7:48 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

So fun with the birds, hope to see more photos later. And so lovely flowers, wild growing are almost the only one I have in my garden :-)

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter