Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



09 September 2010

Summer Summary

So what did I do this summer, besides a little knit-a-square knitting and hardly posting at all?I worked the Broad Arrow at a little more appropriate gauge for the size of the thread I was using.

I took pictures of a tree frog in the phlox.

We went to the Binder Park Zoo and enjoyed the giraffe overlook again.The animals have so much space here. It's such a relief compared to some beat-up, tired-looking pens I've seen other places.


We dog-sat my parents' retired greyhound, Kasper, over Labor Day weekend.Kasper really enjoyed running in both sections of our fenced yard.
He liked resting on his bed afterwards, too.

On Labor Day, we got up and did the local Bridge Walk. It's nothing like the 5-mile Mackinac Bridge Walk - ours is a tiny 0.19K, led by the town crier with a brass bell and bagpipers, and with many people accompanied by their dogs.

This year as we walked back across the bridge towards our car, we heard a whistle and saw this coming down the river towards Kalamazoo Lake.We see a lot of different boats, from kayaks up to cabin cruisers and ore carriers, but this is the first steam paddleboat I've seen.


Tomorrow I'll be seeing more steam-powered machinery at the Michigan Flywheelers' Antique Engine & Tractor Show, but I'm still betting none of it will be boats!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

That zoo does look a lot more animal friendly. I hate going to zoos where the animals look confined.

Kasper looks beautiful! Always loved the look of greyhounds.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Sounds like a pretty good summer. :) I'm particularly entranced by the steam paddleboat.

Once my father and I saw a Stanley Steamer - a steam powered car that was produced for approximately five minutes in the nineteen teens and twenties.

4:32 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

That boat looks like the African Queen had a liason with Mississippi riverboat and left the offspring to be raised by a family of itinerant rafts.

Bravo on the netting!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I now understand why you posted the amendment. We had quite a discussion at work on the subject. It's funny how the "freedom of religion" idea doesn't apply f it isn't your religion.....

I love your Broad arrow stitchery. It's gorgeous and fragile looking

9:06 PM  
Blogger Mary B. said...

Binder park zoo rocks! My daughter lives in Kzoo and it's a favorite stop for many of us.
so glad that the river was not utterly ruined by the oil leak; West Michigan is so lovely but so fragile.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

I love the way Broad Arrows looks. What size mesh sticks did you use?

11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the twee frog. And Kasper.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I love the paddleboat! What a great sighting. And I completely agree about how much nicer it is to see animals in more spacious settings (nicer for the animals, too, I bet!); the Wild Animal Park is like that, and I think that's why we like it so much...

2:06 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

What a great bunch of summer activities! That zoo park does indeed look excellent, plenty of room for all the animals.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Kasper! That's my buddy! Wonderful pics, as usual. I hope we make it to Binder Park one of these days, can't wait to see the giraffes up close and personal!

Also, E has been expressing an interest in large scale net making, i.e. a rope tree house, and he's had a heck of a time finding any information on how to do that. Surely he's not the first person to think of this? Let me know if you have any ideas/reading recommendations. Thanks!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Great pix! That is one teeny frog.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter