Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



24 October 2010

Pictures by Daylight

Since the weather is cooperating, I took the tray outdoors to have its picture taken. The diameter of the doily is 11 inches, about 28 centimeters, at the widest point.

I taped some black and white sewing thread to my see-through ruler and tried to get a close-up that showed the fineness of the thread it was knitted with.You can't really tell in the photos, but it's purl side up!

My thanks to Rebecca at Doilies Are Stylish for her instant ID of the pattern. This is Christine Duchrow's 64.1, commonly known as Egeblad. I have the pattern in The Knitted Lace Patterns of Christine Duchrow, Volume 3, but it will have to get in line behind a lot of other patterns!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

Looks even better in daylight. How nifty that she found out what doily it was!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, wow! That's both gorgeous and amazing - I don't think I possess quite that level of patience (or eyesight!) :)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Terby said...

Gorgeous find.

4:51 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

That just blows me away! It's so hard to believe that it's not the actual doily there.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That is so gorgeous. What a find. I haven't been in a good thrift store in a while. You're making me want to find one.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

That is SO COOL!

And really awesome that she figured out what doily it is. :)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kristina Plaas said...

Awesome find! I'll bet the image of the doily was transferred to the glass/mirror using an old photochemical process. The solid object (in this case the doily)is laid over the glass, a chemical film is placed over the top of object/glass and shielded from light. Then the unit is taken outside, shield removed, and exposed to bright sunlight for several minutes until the transfer is the desired intensity.

The process does not harm the original object, but yields a really awesome decorative item. I saw this done on Martha Stewart once upon a time, but of course I can't find a link or reference at the moment.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Wow, that's exquisite!

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter