Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



26 February 2011

Knitting Tragedies

Not the kind involving 500 stitches escaping off a circular needle.

I love lace knitting. But once in a while I run my head painfully hard into the brick wall of how undervalued this particular lacemaking technique is.

Yesterday was one of those days.

I stopped at the Blue Star Antique Pavilion and browsed around until I found these three doilies: Both of these patterns are in Knitted Lace 2 (Kunst-Stricken II).

The two white ones are the cover doily of the first section of the book.

The second one is a very pretty doily called "Anemone", on page 25 (page 17 in the original).

The tragedy?

I paid 88 cents each for the white ones. $1.88 for the colored one.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Norm Deplume said...

I see a lot of crocheted and tatted lace at my local charity shop. I tend to buy them even though I don't need them at all, because seeing all that handwork sitting on a shelf for $.25 a piece each makes me sad.

10:20 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Oh wow, they're gorgeous. And now they've found a good home.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Wow! Ok, that is tragic.

But good find for you!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh, that's a terrible shame (not for you though!). I often look through the doilys etc at antique stores, although they are often generic crochet (the type you can buy new in any store, all the same pattern) or machine made lace. And never priced as cheaply as the ones you found - which is more respectful of the skill of the maker, at least.

3:43 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a treasure for you! Good find, good buy! If you ran across a mint copy of the first issue of Fantastic Four for a measly quarter, would it make you sad? Or would that fall into "too good to be true?"land?

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheap as chips - doesn't make it right though.

I like your opening sentence - a reference to my recent tragedy?

4:15 AM  
Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

WOW! I wish I could find gems like that for so cheap!!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

I know, it's sad. But a lot of the value is going through the process of making them, right?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Woof. That's just WRONG. Sigh... I'm glad they've got you to appreciate them!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sigh.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter