Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



11 March 2011

Blog or Blog Not!

I got tired of waiting around for my blogging mojo to show up and decided to listen to Barbara Sher, who says not to wait until you feel like doing something - either do it or declare you're not doing it.

If you're going to draw, draw every day and don't wait for some magical state of wanting to draw that might never show up.

This is one of those things I remember and forget, remember and forget. Well, I've remembered it again: Do, or do not! Knit, or knit not. Blog, or blog not.

I've been knitting, finishing and working on finishing things I started a long time ago.

If you remember this one, you've been reading the blog for a looooong time. I started it back in August of 2007, after taking Galina Khmeleva's Orenburg class at the Michigan Fiber Festival.

I never really liked this wool: it's scratchy to knit with, and it smells bad. Now it's finally finished and cast off and it's done.

I started another quirky little Niebling doily from Kunststricken: Decken, Garnituren, Spitzen (Bände 408 und 760). This one is on page 9 of Bände 760, on the right in photo 15, chart 17. In the photo below, it's on my red 00 (1.75 mm) needles, and it's binding into a bowl shape.I was hoping it would block out, but off the needles, it still was pretty stubbornly bowl-shaped.

I didn't want a knitted coracle, even a miniature one, so I'm trying again on US 0 (2.0 mm) needles. It's still starting to bind around row 39, but it stretches out more like the photo.

There are a couple of these quirky little patterns, around 50 rounds in size, in Bände 760, and I'm looking forward to knitting and blogging about them.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

yeah, go blogging!

are you sure you don't want a knitted bowl? you could stiffen it and use it to hold stuff. We all need more stuff holders! Especially pretty knitted lace ones!

3:50 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Yay! Glad you blogged today, whether or not you felt like it.

Um, what kind of yarn are you using for the lace thingies that weren't blocking out? I know that I've had some major issues with things that did not want to block out and apparently it is because they were twisted weird when they were spun. But I'm not a spinner and my knowledge of the technical side of yarn construction isn't that deep, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

4:06 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Oh it's good to see you again. I was afraid the wolves had gotten you over the winter!

Hooray for finishing the scratchy, stinky, impressive piece of Orenberg. You really are a stayer, aren't you?

Maybe that bowl-shaped motif could be worked into a bikini?

4:23 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

truer words were never spoken
xxox

7:47 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Knitted coracle. Snortgiggle. :)

Good for you for blogging - I know how that can be, and I find (maybe just me?) that the longer I stay away, the harder it is to get started again (exercise works this way for me, too, a lesson that I have finally learned). Glad you're back :)

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter