Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



20 November 2005

Yet another work-in-progress!

It occurs to me that I have lots and lots of WIP I can post. That's how I work. When I get tired of one thing, I like to have another to pick up. When I know one project is almost done, I start a couple more. This way my wrists don't get tired.

These socks:
have turned toes, worked on my sock frame
are worked toe up, inside out
are knitted on two needles as a flattened tube ("double knitting")
have turned heels, worked on my sock frame
are ribbed at the cuff

I originally made the pair on my sock frame, only to discover that I had worked at a different tension on the second one. It wasn't much different, but it was different enough to notice when I wore them. So eventually I frogged the pair with my center-pull ball winder and started over.

That's one huge difference between tatting or netting and knitting. If you make a mistake when tatting, you have to take out each stitch individually. It's a knot. Same thing with netting. If you make a mistake in knitting, prrrrrrrt, you can rip it out in a dismayingly short time. All that work, poof, gone! Then again, it's a different sort of dismay to catch a tatting mistake, and see all the unpicking you'll have to do to get back to it!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter